Thread: Idle crashes/reboots

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Idle crashes/reboots

Last year I've built a new system and I've been experiencing some issues. First the specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900X
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2 x 16GB
    PSU: Corsair RM750x with a Corsair cable kit
    GPU: RTX 2070 Super

The issues I'm having are quite simple: a while back I had three spontaneous reboots during CPU heavy gameplay (the computer went out completely and then restarted itself). On top of that I am having hard freezes when nothing is intensively running. The freezes are always when a program is starting up. I've had many of them while just loading HWinfo, although I haven't been able to replicate this as of late.

What is now constantly happening is crashes while idle, when the computer is not being used. For example going to have breakfast/lunch/dinner and coming back I'll find a freshly booted system and all of the open work lost. It happened three times yesterday and yet again this morning.

Thermals are fine. I'm running five intake fans and then another three exhaust fans which are mounted on a radiator. The graphics card is also watercooled.
    Aside from having PBO and XMP enabled, BIOS is running all stock settings. The RAM has been tested multiple times with Memtest86 and TestMem5. Memtest86 ran overnight and again gave no errors, so I'm inclined to say this isn't the issue. I last did a fresh install of Windows a couple of months ago. All drivers are up to date.

I haven't been able to observe the idle crashing behaviour, only that I can find eventid 41 in the eventviewer stating that an incorrect shutdown was performed, but no error codes are ever logged. It might be just freezing and ultimately rebooting itself, no idea.

Through Google searches I found that this could be a PSU issue. Unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU laying around. I do wonder if it is PSU related if RMA'ing it will help solve the issue, or if I would rather need a different model. At this point any troubleshooting is welcomed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Disable XMP and PBO. It's not a PSU issue when it works fine under load, that's CPU/RAM instability, common issue on Ryzen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Disabling those two will severely hamper my performance. I will test both separately and report back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I would consider 'crashes/reboots' as rather hampering.

Quote Originally Posted by Illined View Post
    For example going to have breakfast/lunch/dinner and coming back I'll find a freshly booted system and all of the open work lost.

Aside from having PBO and XMP enabled, BIOS is running all stock settings.
    Overclocking is not a great idea when one loses work.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Illined View Post
    Through Google searches I found that this could be a PSU issue.
    LOL! This is NOT a PSU issue.

Moved to General Hardware.

Do make sure "automatically restart" is unchecked:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-experiences-a

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Automatically restart was already disabled, but this does not seem to be a BSOD so it did not help to uncheck it.

I installed the Windows 10 May 2020 update yesterday as wel as a new BIOS. Did not disable PBO as I first wanted to check whether that had any implications on the crashes. This morning I had the chance to leave it running idle and it crashed six times during that time:

I've now disabled PBO and will have to wait to see if that changes anything. I left it running idle three times yesterday and it didn't crash. Was already becoming hopeful, but then with today's crashes... Seems iffy.

Next step if it still crashes is disabling XMP as well. After that, I don't know... I guess I'll have to start ordering spare parts

Edit: same behaviour with PBO disabled. It's been suggested that automatic voltages set by the motherboard may be wrong. It can't possibly be intended to have to input all values manually...
    Last edited by Illined; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just keep you in the loop, by now I've tried running with PBO and XMP disabled, adjusted voltages in the BIOS as recommended by others, uninstalled certain software. None of this has helped. I left it running overnight to test changed settings and it crashed 12 times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One, hopefully final update: after trying a list of things for hours on end, I discovered the crashes were occurring every time the computer would go to sleep. This made for quicker possible troubleshooting. It turns out the Realtek LAN was the culprit. Finding and updating to drivers from 2020, rather than using older ones listed on the motherboard manufacturer's website, fixed this issue. I'll keep a good eye on it through the coming days to make sure it is entirely fixed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I normally let Windows 10 figure out all my drivers.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:26 PM.