Thread: Quality PSU for workstation without dedicated GPU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Quality PSU for workstation without dedicated GPU

Dear forum,
    I am about the pick a new PSU for a desktop/workstation build, and would like something of good quality that is silent and super stable for years to come. I don't game, and plan to use the integrated graphics. The heavy lifting for the machine will mainly be compiling (software development), and sometimes to sandbox different environments in virtual machines. The components:

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SCA-F
    CPU: Intel Xeon E-2226G (6c6t) 3.4 GHz 80 TDP w. NH-L12 cooler.
    A couple of case fans. Maybe an optical unit.
    Memory: 16 GB ECC memory (maybe more in the future)
    Storage: 512 GB nvme SSD + some hard drive.
    Different external USB devices.

Seasonic's wattage calculator arrives to a load wattage of 258 W and recommends a 308 W PSU. All better quality PSU's have higher wattage than what I need.

I really enjoy reading the posts and experience on this forum, but have come to the point where I feel that I know less than when I started. So I'll list a couple of units that I am looking at, and am open to your suggestions (maybe I am missing something interesting).

- Seasonic Focus GX - 550W [€95,50 varle.lt]
    - Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 450W [€96,79 varle.lt]
    - Corsair RM550x 80 PLUS Gold [€105,32 varle.lt]

I am in Lithuania, and my budget for the PSU is about €100. I shop varle.lt, kilobaitas.lt, skytech.lt.

My preference is for 1) stability 2) silence 3) durability
    I'm good with 80+ gold efficiency, and don't want any bling. I am not in a super hurry ether, really.
    I do appreciate good engineering, and like to favour honest manufacturers. I have looked at different tier-lists, but I tend to confuse things after a while.

Hope you are finding my case is somewhat interesting...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reading through the PSU tier list again, I’m inclined to think that all my alternatives might be equally good for my purpose, and that is hard to go wrong with a €100 budget, for the capacity I need.

Quote Originally Posted by JonasA View Post
    - Seasonic Focus GX - 550W [€95,50 varle.lt]
    - Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 450W [€96,79 varle.lt]
    - Corsair RM550x 80 PLUS Gold [€105,32 varle.lt]
    Still it would be interesting, from a technical perspective, if the units I am looking at are built the same, or ‘might’ perform differently in any way regarding longevity, dependability or sound. I may add in a sinewave UPS between the socket and the PSU too.

I have been super satisfied with my last build, that has been tugging along 24/7 without a hickup since 2011: Supermicro X9SCM, Xeon E3-1220 3.1GHz, 24 GB ECC RAM, disks, Corsair Hx 750W PSU, Cyberpower CP1500 (UPS added later).

I suppose I just got a bit cautious when I read about that there sometimes are problems, under some circumstances, with some models from known and respected PSU brands. I am aware that one can always be unlucky, and that is what warranty is for. Just to minimise that probability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

If you don't plan on adding dGPU and just want smth quiet and relatively reliable then you can get be quiet! System Power 9 for like half the price of those PSUs you mentioned. But if you really okay with buying overkill PSU either of those would do equally fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts

The be quiet! System Power 9 isn't a PSU ment for 24/7 workstation use over a lot of years. The be quiet Straight Power 11 is a PSU build for that. The higher efficiency will make up for the higher price over the years.