Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Power surge connector to the PSU and components

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    15
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    10
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Power surge connector to the PSU and components

    I have a tripp-lite surge that my PSU/computer is connected to and by habit I always turn OFF the power surge after I shut down my computer. Now that I have Gigabyte aorus pro motherboard it does this annoying LED light flash which at first you think something is wrong. Made me think (1) do I even need to shut off the power surge to make it safer? and (2) am I making it worse by shutting it off so it is unable to work properly?

    Looks like maybe the only way to truly make the computer safe from a surge is unplug it when not use for a long period of time.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,905
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    570
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    518
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    I have a tripp-lite surge that my PSU/computer is connected to and by habit I always turn OFF the power surge after I shut down my computer. Now that I have Gigabyte aorus pro motherboard it does this annoying LED light flash which at first you think something is wrong. Made me think (1) do I even need to shut off the power surge to make it safer? and (2) am I making it worse by shutting it off so it is unable to work properly?

    Looks like maybe the only way to truly make the computer safe from a surge is unplug it when not use for a long period of time.
    (1) Don't turn off the surge strip when you shut down your PC. (2) Yes.

    Turning the surge strip off doesn't provide any more protection than leaving it on in the event of a surge.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

    Murray (06-01-2020)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,602
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    178
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    97
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Turning the surge strip off doesn't provide any more protection than leaving it on in the event of a surge.

    Are you sure? the lightning now has to jump a physical gap.

    Anyhow, I don't even turn my computer off as leaving it in sleep keeps from running down the CMOS battery
    and also make for a fast startup.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,669
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    391
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    198
    Thanked in
    151 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Are you sure? the lightning now has to jump a physical gap.
    Lightning travels miles through air, those couple of millimeters air really won't stop it.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,602
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    178
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    97
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

    Default

    Good point, I should have said: it takes about 3000V to jump 1mm, so it would help with surges.

    HOWEVER, the circuit in a really good surge protector will not just absorb the surge but reflect it back out (through an intentional impedance mismatch), and for this one really wants the switch closed... so the Guru was right after all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 06-01-2020 at 02:50 PM.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    15
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    10
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Thank you Jon.

    Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post

    Anyhow, I don't even turn my computer off as leaving it in sleep keeps from running down the CMOS battery
    and also make for a fast startup.
    Keeping it sleep mode drains some power, I'm assuming it's not that much or you wouldn't do it? I bought a Kill-a-watt reader. I may plug it in on my old computer to see how many watts it drains on sleep mode

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,905
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    570
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    518
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Thank you Jon.



    Keeping it sleep mode drains some power, I'm assuming it's not that much or you wouldn't do it? I bought a Kill-a-watt reader. I may plug it in on my old computer to see how many watts it drains on sleep mode
    I doubt your Kill-A-Watt is very accurate at such low loads. For ErP 2013 and Energy Star compliance, the PSU can only use so much power in standby.

    Standby is used these days to keep BIOS settings like XMP profiles in tact so the PC doesn't have to "relearn" everytime you power on (which makes the PC take longer to boot up, thus negating any power savings of turning the PC completely off).

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

    Murray (06-01-2020)

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    15
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    10
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks also for the reminder to set up my ram speed

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •