Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: PSU Advice

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default PSU Advice

    Looking to build a system and havenít done so in years. I normally like to do my own research but I canít find many good recent resources for PSU information. Iíd really appreciate some advice.

    My system will most likely be:
    i9-10900k (little overclocking, if any)
    ASRock Z490 Pro4
    G.Skill Neo 2x32 GB DDR4 2600
    970 Evo Plus 2TB M.2
    LSI 9207 Host Bus Adapter
    Corsair h150i RGB Pro XT
    3x 3TB WD Red Pro

    In the future I might add:
    Another 2TB M.2
    Additional 2x32 GB DDR4 2600
    3 additional WD Red Pro drives
    NVIDIA 2xxx or 3xxx card

    So Iíd like headroom for those upgrades.

    My main use case is a NAS server, reverse proxy, VPN, running a few VMs and some gaming if I can get GPU passthrough working. I will also use it as a fuzzing/cracking box so the hardware might get stressed for small periods of time.

    Thanks a lot.

    EDIT: Forgot to mention Iím in the US. Maryland.
    Last edited by dweller; 05-31-2020 at 12:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Uzbekistan
    Posts
    264
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    40
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    63
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

    Default

    Postpone your build for a month or so, there's zero stock rn and prices are sky high.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Brisbane QLD Australia
    Posts
    76
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    40
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    the price premium on z490 boards is a bit steep in my opinion. i usually go for the midrange price option. the midrange z490 is about +100(aud) from the z390. same goes for graphics cards. prices have risen out of sight. Ram is decently priced. no complaints there i spose it's new tech. dats the price you pay.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juular View Post
    Postpone your build for a month or so, there's zero stock rn and prices are sky high.
    Yeah Iím kind of forced to do so. Canít get a CPU or cooler even if I wanted right now. Iíve been looking at the Seasonic Primes and you canít get any of those right now either.

    Any suggestions on brand/wattage when stock is back to normal?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post
    the price premium on z490 boards is a bit steep in my opinion. i usually go for the midrange price option. the midrange z490 is about +100(aud) from the z390. same goes for graphics cards. prices have risen out of sight. Ram is decently priced. no complaints there i spose it's new tech. dats the price you pay.
    Yeah honestly the 10c/20t really appeals to me. Iíd consider Ryzen but Intel is the only chip that supports hardware tracing via Intel Processor Trace. I expect this server to last me 5-6 years so Iím okay going premium right now.

    Iíd really like to buy a used server on eBay but very few of those support IPT so

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Brisbane QLD Australia
    Posts
    76
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    40
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    hopefully someone will chime in with a psu recommendation. I can't

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,905
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    570
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    518
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post
    hopefully someone will chime in with a psu recommendation. I can't
    I checked Newegg, Amazon, Microcenter and even Corsair.com and there's nothing good in stock anywhere right now.

    Might have to wait until next week.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    I checked Newegg, Amazon, Microcenter and even Corsair.com and there's nothing good in stock anywhere right now.

    Might have to wait until next week.
    Do you have general recommendations for brand and wattage? Iím okay waiting until something good comes back in stock.

    I was considering a 750w Seasonic Platinum or Super Flower if I could find one.
    Last edited by dweller; 05-31-2020 at 11:22 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,905
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    570
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    518
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dweller View Post
    Do you have general recommendations for brand and wattage? Iím okay waiting until something good comes back in stock.

    I was considering a 750w Seasonic Platinum or Super Flower if I could find one.
    I dunno. I tend to be partial to the Corsair HX750.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    148
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    318
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    I tend to be partial to the Corsair HX750.
    ;-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •