Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about SF750 hold up time and using a UPS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Did you have a sine-wave UPS in mind? there are also zero switch over time (on-line) UPS units.

For me the problem is the recurring cost of batteries every few years; one thing I tried was to run a UPS on super capacitors
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Con...er-Capacitors/

As well as an attempt to extend the life of lead acid batteries
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Rev...cid-Batteries/

One might consider using lithium batteries instead of lead acid

In the end I just invested in a lot of premium surge protectors.
    Sorry for my late reply. Crazy working weeks these ones after we have come out from the lock-down here.

Interesting...specially the capacitor batteries. But aren't they risky? A capacitor, if damaged for some reason, can explode...and if they are big, they can make a hell of a BAM!

The lithium batteries..would they be worth the expense? And what about efficiency?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Not sure efficiency is really an issue given that they are rarely used; I'd get them just for the longer life.

The capacitors I used are really big (2600F each) but the pack can only hold up a computer for a few minutes; more than enough for power glitches.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 05-24-2020 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure efficiency is really an issue given that they are rarely used; I'd get them just for the longer life.

The capacitors I used are really big (2600F each) but the pack can only hold up a computer for a few minutes; more than enough for power glitches.
    Ah yes, capacitors are good for filter power glitches, so using a big pack of them does filler for sure a power glitch from the source.

Is it possible for them (or a circuit applied to them) to deliver the source power (110V or 230V) at constant voltage, and then turn off/drop current all together, so not to decrease voltage and maybe deliver insufficient power to a computer, for example?

And also, is there a way to calculate the dimension/number of capacitor to adopt if knowing the seconds needed to keep it up at constant voltage and wattage needed?

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PIRATA! View Post
    Is it possible for them (or a circuit applied to them) to deliver the source power (110V or 230V) at constant voltage, and then turn off/drop current all together, so not to decrease voltage and maybe deliver insufficient power to a computer, for example?

And also, is there a way to calculate the dimension/number of capacitor to adopt if knowing the seconds needed to keep it up at constant voltage and wattage needed?

Thanks.
    One puts them in a UPS in place of the battery and the UPS takes care of everything.

The calculation is easy as the energy is 0.5 C V^2 and one can assume the UPS has access to about half of this. In my case I have 6 2600F capacitors in series, so the pack is about 433F, so

P x T = 0.25 C V^2

V ~ 14V so 100W can be delivered for 212 seconds (about 3 and 1/2 minutes)

After UPS and power supply losses this might be 2 minutes; since I only need a few seconds to cover power glitches it would cover most any power consumption.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One puts them in a UPS in place of the battery and the UPS takes care of everything.

The calculation is easy as the energy is 0.5 C V^2 and one can assume the UPS has access to about half of this. In my case I have 6 2600F capacitors in series, so the pack is about 433F, so

P x T = 0.25 C V^2

After UPS and power supply losses this might be 2 minutes; since I only need a few seconds to cover power glitches it would cover most any power consumption.
    Regarding your calculus, I think I might be too beginner in electrical laws

First of all, lets say I have an UPS that has:

Nominal power (VA) 1500
    Active power (W) 900
    Input/Output voltage 230 V
    Battery range type/voltage 12 V, 9 Ah

Considering that 3 minutes are quite ok for me as well, could you use these parameters so to go through your exposed formula?

EDIT: Just added batteries info.

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Well if 100W is sustained for 2 mins; 400W will be a quarter of the time or half a minute; 800W for a quarter of a minute; enough for glitches but maybe not enough time to shut down.

Lets compare this to your 12V 9Ah battery

P = I V

so your battery could hold about 50W for an hour (assuming half losses) or 800W for about 4 mins; so about 16 times longer than the capacitor bank. then again I think your battery would be unhappy at such a load, while the super capacitors would have no problem.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 05-24-2020 at 10:07 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ashiekh For This Useful Post:

PIRATA! (05-24-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

P x T = 0.25 C V^2

Here in NJ the power outages are measured in hours.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well if 100W is sustained for 2 mins; 400W will be a quarter of the time or half a minute; 800W for a quarter of a minute; enough for glitches but maybe not enough time to shut down.

Lets compare this to your 12V 9Ah battery

P = I V

so your battery could hold about 50W for an hour (assuming half losses) or 800W for about 4 mins; so about 16 times longer than the capacitor bank. then again I think your battery would be unhappy at such a load, while the super capacitors would have no problem.
    The capacitors you say would have no problem, but would last too less..right?

Anyway to place different capacitors or a higher number of them so to have a decent time available, like if I was using batteries?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Back when I used my computers more I had a separate UPS for each machine and the router. It's been years, now; time enough for all but the router batteries to age out. The last hours-long power outage we had, my daughters' phones had nary a glitch. So, from this, I conclude that lead-acid batteries can power a low-power device a long time, and do it for a long time. Of course, if all you want to do is have a comfortable margin for an orderly shutdown, you can go with a lithium battery; but years ago I had a telework setup where it would have been bad to close a session before it was finished. A UPS with lead-acid batteries allowed me to get through uninterruptible sessions.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ehume For This Useful Post:

PIRATA! (05-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PIRATA! View Post
    The capacitors you say would have no problem, but would last too less..right?

Anyway to place different capacitors or a higher number of them so to have a decent time available, like if I was using batteries?

The super-capacitors should have no problem with the high load, although I don't know how long they last. One needs to know what one is doing as an over-voltage would destroy them; pictured is a 6 bank than can take the UPS charging voltage (they are in series). In theory they need balancing, although I found that not necessary.

This is not just a plug and play project and best not done if one is not comfortable with electronics.

Just designing and making the wooden carrier was a long task (I was foolish enough to make it of oak); it is glued and cannot be disassembled, but the design is such that the capacitors can still be removed.

A lithium (12V 10AH) might be 20A max (continuous) and so only good for say 200W
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 05-25-2020 at 09:40 AM.