Thread: UHD is driving me nuts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default UHD is driving me nuts.

so here's the deal. I hae a pc with movies on it. They are mkv movie formats. They are also UHD 2180 movies. < that may have been redundant Anyways I have a serious issue with video playback. It's all sorts of choppy, lags like crazy and sound and audio are way off. I'm sitting here think about all the variables that may be causing this while researching as well. I have a Geforce GTX-760 4 gig, AMD fx6300 3.5 six core processor, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR 1600 16 gigs, running on windows 10. After trying 3 different players I assume now that it must be a hardware issue. I have also changed a great many setting in the players I tested with. In the perfomace view it seems that all is running fine. Oh and also Im running a SATA hd with 7200 rpm. I feel like it may be the video card , but like I said there are so many variable. All other moies work fine on my pc. Also my 4k tv has no issues playing uhd movies through its apps. I am lost my friends and I'm loking for some direction befor I go and spend money on parts. I am now ready to receive an abundant amount of info from those that would like me to resolve this issue.
    Last edited by Alozbey; 05-26-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts

mkv isn't a codec but a container. Problem is most likely that you're watching a H.265/HEVC video, but your graphics card doesn't has hardware support for that codec. You need a modern graphics card or simple APU like the Ryzen based Athlon 3000. But that means a new motherboard and DDR4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try MPV player
    https://mpv.io/
    It seems the best in my experience.

Nvidia has a matrix that shows what codecs their GPUs support in hardware here.
    https://developer.nvidia.com/video-e...support-matrix

Since you are talking about playback you are interested in decoding, thus NVDEC
    Just as the Mask said, your graphics card does not do hw assisted decoding for HEVC.
    if your GPU can not handle the task, then your system will attempt to do it with your AMD CPU.
    (open up your task manager when watching a movie, you will see if is very busy)

If you are willing to spend some money an upgrade to a GTX1650 will provide you with all the GPU features you need to play UHD content.