Thread: Corsair Type 4 vs Type 3 Cables

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Corsair Type 4 vs Type 3 Cables

I just ordered a new, but open box, AX1200i on eBay that does not come with any cables. I am in the process of locating and buying cables for it now.

First off, I am a bit annoyed that there is not more of an industry standard for these cables. It has been way too confusing trying to sort through all the charts and data of what cables are compatible with what PSU! Fortunately, I think I have it more or less figured out now. It seems from what I have read that the AX1200i can use type 4 or type 3 cables for all except the 24-pin ATX cable which must be type 3 even though the AX1200i was originaly shipped with type 3 cables.

For all except the 24-pin ATX cable, I think the only difference, from what I gather in my research online, is the type 4 cables all have an inline capacitor to help smooth the ripple in the current and make the power just a little bit cleaner whereas the type 3 connectors do not have this capacitor. Am I correct in that this is the only real difference?

Also, since I am starting fresh, with no cables, even if the improvement by adding the capacitor is minor, I am thinking I would be better off (even if only marginally so) in selecting all type 4 connectors to go with my newly purchased AX1200i PSU instead of type 3 for all except the 24-pin ATX connect which must be type 3. Is my thinking correct on this or is there some reason that it would be preferable to use type 3 connectors over type 4 on the AX1200i PSU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks. I did find that compatibility chart. It was the only way I was able to start to make sense of it all. But my question still remains, all other things being equal, is it better to go with Type 4 over Type 3 (except for the 24-pin cable) for the AX1200i?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyjohnolson View Post
    Thanks. I did find that compatibility chart. It was the only way I was able to start to make sense of it all. But my question still remains, all other things being equal, is it better to go with Type 4 over Type 3 (except for the 24-pin cable) for the AX1200i?
    It doesn't make any difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey there,
    Im kinda in the same position as you where im looking for the cables for a AX1200i that i picked some years ago at a garage sale...haha. I thought it would be fun to put it to use for a new build.
    I was wondering what the conclusion to this thread was. Did you manage to get the gen 4 connectors to work with the PSU ? Or will I have to buy the gen 3 ones ?
    Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Burnyvonbeen View Post
    Hey there,
    Im kinda in the same position as you where im looking for the cables for a AX1200i that i picked some years ago at a garage sale...haha. I thought it would be fun to put it to use for a new build.
    I was wondering what the conclusion to this thread was. Did you manage to get the gen 4 connectors to work with the PSU ? Or will I have to buy the gen 3 ones ?
    Thanks
    What's your question?

It was already revealed that Type 3 is the same as Type 4 except for the 24-pin and that the AX1200i needs the Type 3 24-pin because it only has a 10+14 on the PSU (as opposed to 10+18).

See for yourself:

Corsair link in second post: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility
    Type 3: http://jongerow.com/Corsair_pinouts/...out_Type_3.htm
    Type 4: http://jongerow.com/Corsair_pinouts/...out_Type_4.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right thanks,
    I just wanted to be clear that I CANT use a gen 4 24pin with my ax1200i. I have to get a gen 3 24 pin.

Thank for your reply