Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Question on Seasonic CORE series

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri; USA
    Posts
    5,133
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    424
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    35
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Are modern (synthetic) lubricants helping with the life of sleeve bearings?
    The issues with sleeve bearings, at least any modern ones, isn't really the quality of the lubricant but consistent filling on the assembly line as well as leakage. Speaking with a rep, one of the biggest causes of leakage is fans sitting on a shelf doing nothing.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

    ashiekh (05-19-2020), DandyHighwayman (05-19-2020)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,837
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    568
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    499
    Thanked in
    371 Posts

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

    DandyHighwayman (05-19-2020)

  5. #13
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    United Kingdom - NE
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Yikes! That single layer PCB!!
    Is that an issue?

    I think I've been too reliant on you folks, I need to learn the ways of the power supply.

  6. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,559
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    173
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    93
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    The issues with sleeve bearings, at least any modern ones, isn't really the quality of the lubricant but consistent filling on the assembly line as well as leakage. Speaking with a rep, one of the biggest causes of leakage is fans sitting on a shelf doing nothing.

    Take the gas cylinder on an office chair or the compressor on a car air conditioner; I continue to find it amazing that each can seal high pressure gas for years at a time.

    So it can be done.

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    83
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    47
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Availability and pricing is all over the place at the moment in the UK.

    Just having a quick look about for not much more money the 550W Prime Ultra is available and is a much better PSU.

    EDIT - Scratch that price just jumped up by £10 as i posted this.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheStoka For This Useful Post:

    DandyHighwayman (05-19-2020)

  9. #16
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    United Kingdom - NE
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheStoka View Post
    Availability and pricing is all over the place at the moment in the UK.

    Just having a quick look about for not much more money the 550W Prime Ultra is available and is a much better PSU.

    EDIT - Scratch that price just jumped up by £10 as i posted this.
    Outside of the obvious platinum rating and the undoubtedly better fan, what about the Prime Ultra is that much better pal?

    I'm just trying to educate myself, any and all responses are appreciated.

  10. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Uzbekistan
    Posts
    253
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    34
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    62
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DandyHighwayman View Post
    Outside of the obvious platinum rating and the undoubtedly better fan, what about the Prime Ultra is that much better pal?

    I'm just trying to educate myself, any and all responses are appreciated.
    First of all we know very little on the actual performance of Seasonic Core series. It looks almost exact to Seasonic Focus aside of transition to single-layer PCB but who knows what they've cheaped on also. In reviews we've seen so far, ripple looks good enough but it's a very hard thing to measure correctly so this data isn't very reliable. Assuming it indeed performs just as good as Focus, Seasonic PRIME still has better performance than Focus, mostly in ripple though (aside of obvious difference in efficiency which is rather irrelevant).

    TLDR: Seasonic Core is a strictly budget PSU, not because it's a bad platform but because of sleeve bearing fan and possibly not-so-high-end components choice.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:

    DandyHighwayman (05-19-2020)

  12. #18
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri; USA
    Posts
    5,133
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    424
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    35
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Take the gas cylinder on an office chair or the compressor on a car air conditioner; I continue to find it amazing that each can seal high pressure gas for years at a time.

    So it can be done.
    Yeah, that's a fluid dynamic bearing, but a proper one costs 10x what a basic sleeve bearing does. Fans are $2 parts most of the time, so people don't want to make them $5 parts as the increase to BOM really adds up. This is why cases still come with sleeve bearing fans most of the time.

    Though, as Jon's noted many times in the past; Rifle bearings are barely any more expensive than a sleeve bearing and should actually be used more often but the industry is very price/profit conscious as margins are generally not high in the DIY market.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

    DandyHighwayman (05-19-2020)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •