Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: SF750 batch failure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    The problem comes from an impurity in the insulator pads used between the PFC diode and the heatsink. When subjected to moisture (e.g. humidity), the impurties crystallize and once harden again when used in normal humidity environments, causes the insulator to crack. Once the insulator cracks, the diode touches the heatsink and it pops.

Little confused; I thought the pad was flat, so even if it cracks it still separates the heatsink and diode.

I'm no electronics engineer and don't claim to know what I am talking about; I'm here to learn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Little confused; I thought the pad was flat, so even if it cracks it still separates the heatsink and diode.

I'm no electronics engineer and don't claim to know what I am talking about; I'm here to learn.
    I changed my post to say "crack and tear". You know the diode is in a TO220 package, right? And remember, the insulator pad is very similar to the thermal pad used on some CPU and GPU coolers. Maybe a little "harder".

If it cracks and tears apart, there's an exposed area somewhere between the diode and the heatsink.

Keep in mind, not all of the units in this lot code have the contaminants. Not all of the units that have the contaminants will cause the insulator pad to tear. Not all of the units that have torn insulators will short. But out of due diligence, you just replace the whole batch to avoid potential problems.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

ashiekh (05-31-2020), ehume (06-01-2020), PIRATA! (06-01-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought was something related to bad insulation between two components, but didn't know that a contract between a component and its heatsink would cause a short.
    I thought heatsinks were not at ground or that a contact with a diode would not conduct electricity.
    A close up picture of the component and its position/installation would clarify things a bit better for me.
    If it will be ever possible to see that diode mounted with its heatsink in a good SF750 without the issue, that would be great. Also for me, it's for learning.
    I'm an enthusiast of electronics and do some minor building/repairing my self, but do not have any degree, so it's all passion.

Btw, I've sent the ticket a few days ago for asking the PSU substitution from Corsair, but haven't had any reply or email regarding how to go forward yet. Only got the automatic reply that the ticket was submitted.
    Hope to get this done soon as I've moved to Corsair PSUs since a month and would like to have a good feeling and memory about this experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PIRATA! View Post
    I thought was something related to bad insulation between two components, but didn't know that a contract between a component and its heatsink would cause a short.
    I thought heatsinks were not at ground or that a contact with a diode would not conduct electricity.
    A close up picture of the component and its position/installation would clarify things a bit better for me.

Lots of components share the same heat-sink
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Btw, I've sent the ticket a few days ago for asking the PSU substitution from Corsair, but haven't had any reply or email regarding how to go forward yet. Only got the automatic reply that the ticket was submitted.
    Hope to get this done soon as I've moved to Corsair PSUs since a month and would like to have a good feeling and memory about this experience.
    Well, considering it's only Monday and Americans tend to take their weekends very seriously, I'd say you might want to wait a little bit longer.

Also, support volume is high. The Corsair webstore did as much business as it would during Christmas. Unfortunately, with increased sales comes increased support calls/emails.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

PIRATA! (06-01-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

The Corsair webstore did as much business as it would during Christmas.

Why might that be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Why might that be?
    https://youtu.be/0whCHfejM18

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

ashiekh (06-01-2020), PIRATA! (06-01-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

I like geek language, but 'Human malware' was a bit much for me.

15% margin on power supplies is not a lot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lots of components share the same heat-sink
    Well if so, other components should face same issue and touch the heatsink, or other components must be attached to it without any pads, otherwise if only one diode is toughing the heatsink, how could it be a short if only one diode is touching it?

Well, considering it's only Monday and Americans tend to take their weekends very seriously, I'd say you might want to wait a little bit longer.

Also, support volume is high. The Corsair webstore did as much business as it would during Christmas. Unfortunately, with increased sales comes increased support calls/emails.
    Wow! I didn't know about all these requests. And I have just been informed about so also on Reddit following a complete different topic (sff builds stuff): https://www.nowinstock.net/computers...ll_history.php

About the weekend, I understand that it is only Monday I just hope that this would take a fair human amount of time (I was just like crossing fingers and saying it out loud in some way )

I have only a question: why is it like Christmas in these days? Why so may requests? Maybe due to the Coronavirus lockdown end in China and hardware is starting to be produced again? So people is finally able to buy the stuff that it was desiring to buy in the last months? Just guessing..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

I have only a question: why is it like Christmas in these days? Why so may requests? Maybe due to the Coronavirus lockdown end in China and hardware is starting to be produced again? So people is finally able to buy the stuff that it was desiring to buy in the last months? Just guessing..
    That's explained in that video.

Just so you know: They reserved inventory for RMA replacements and are prioritizing RMA over new sales. So what other sites say are "in stock" doesn't matter. The SF will show "not in stock", but Corsair will still have replacements to ship out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

PIRATA! (06-02-2020)