Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Corsair RM550x Strange behavior with LED hub

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    It's "Jon", not "John", BTW. As in Jonny Guru.

I am aware of all of this. What I was saying is you can't simply plug an iCUE RGB strip into an ARGB header or Aura header, etc. There's also the protocol being different, but there have been third part solutions to LINK and iCUE since the day after it came out almost a decade ago.
    "Jon," sorry.

I figured what you meant was that you can't just plug it into some boards. Hope you can comment on my solution! I just can't imagine that this feedback problem can be solved so easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DWD1961 View Post
    I'm rocking!

I cut the 5V pin going into the controller. No feedback, and since the controller uses SATA for power, I only have the data connected, and it works! No more power feedback. ALl LEDs connected to it work perfectly.

Just wanted to run it by John and others--is what I did going to be an electrical problem?
    Shouldn't be an issue.

Only thing I can think of is that they keep +5V on the USB for that thing so the USB port doesn't see a lack of power as a disconnected device.

Let me give you an example: PC goes into standby mode, power cuts off to device, motherboard sees that as USB port activity (device disconnection), PC turns back on.

But that should be something you can disable in the BIOS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Shouldn't be an issue.

Only thing I can think of is that they keep +5V on the USB for that thing so the USB port doesn't see a lack of power as a disconnected device.

Let me give you an example: PC goes into standby mode, power cuts off to device, motherboard sees that as USB port activity (device disconnection), PC turns back on.

But that should be something you can disable in the BIOS.
    Actually, the controller (it's not a controller really but a "HUB," as it doesn't control anything) I am using (along with the Phanteks model) is not USB. It's SATA powered and the motherboard DLED riser plugs into the controller itself. I have no idea why they use the 5V pin either, unless it is to combine the amperage of the riser and the SATA current so you can fully utilize all the power you have without splitting it off into a Y cable, where one lead goes to LED items and the other to the controller. Otherwise, I have no idea. Since I am running a Y cable, I'll still get full power from the riser and then everything plugged into the controller can use SATA 5V power.

Right now MB the riser is at .78 A out of 2, so it is nearly saturated. That's why I needed an externally powered DLED hub.