Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corsair RM550x Strange behavior with LED hub

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DWD1961 View Post
    I modder friend of mine uses the Corsair ICUE, but he had to re-pin everything and create his own adapters to get it to work with another brand's LEDs. I guess since you are here, I could ask if the ICUE controller is compatible with the Gigabyte MB's BIOS and software for LED control?
    iCUE is iCUE. Some motherboards have iCUE headers. It's not compatible with other standards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

@DWD1961

Are you using Gigabyte motherboard?

I have experienced problems with Phanteks and the ARGB connectors of Gigabyte motherboards, if I connect the ARGB of the hub to have synchronization with MB and powered the hub through SATA, other devices powered by SATA such as liquid cooling, automatically turned on with the computer off.

The only way that this would not happen was by disabling the 5V that comes in the SATA connector that connected to the HUB LED.

P.D: Sorry for my English, I hope you have understood me.

It is a mistake that I have experienced many times in combination of Phanteks Evolvx and several Gigabyte motherboards.
    Last edited by JCabanes; 04-26-2020 at 03:31 PM. Reason: +info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JCabanes View Post
    @DWD1961

I have experienced problems with Phanteks and the ARGB connectors of Gigabyte motherboards, if I connect the ARGB of the hub to have synchronization with MB and powered the hub through SATA, other devices powered by SATA such as liquid cooling, automatically turned on with the computer off.

The only way that this would not happen was by disabling the 5V that comes in the SATA connector that connected to the HUB LED.

It is a mistake that I have experienced many times in combination of Phanteks Evolvx and several Gigabyte motherboards.
    I am using a Gigabyte MB, and Phanteks tech support emailed me back and said that is EXACTLY one of the problems using their controller with Gigabyte r ASROCK MB's. I just bought a Phanteks 3 pin ARGB adapter from Newegg. Amazon is out of stock. It converts the Phanteks plug to a normal MB connector.
    https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1681298...82E16812987066
    I'm going to use a generic pass through hub that just uses SATA for power and the DLED MB connection as the signal.

And, that is the last Phanteks DLED I will use unless they have a normal MB plug or include one with their other products. However, I'm wanting to sue the more flexible LED strips. The ones I see are usually the thicker type encased in silicon or rubber making them stiff and hard to turn corners.

I was going to use the Corsair controller, but same thing there, proprietary everything. There are almost no off brand of big brand universal DLED hubs on the market. For those of us who want to mix and match products, that's a necessity--unless you have enough Amps and risers to use simple adapter. I don't. I have one DLED riser on my board. It's 2 amps. I have to use a DLED hub. For instance, my AIO block and fans us 1.7Aamps for the LEDS alone. That almost maxes my riser at 2Amps.

BTW, tech support emailed me back and said ONE Halos fan LED takes a whopping .72 Amps! It's only like 12-15 tiny little LEDs. WTF? Tell you what, if someone thinks they a re going to plug four of those into a single DLED riser off their motherboard, they are going to be surprised. I'm surprised MB manufacturers aren't selling LED hubs with adapters. They could make a fortune universalizing that segment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    The flaw with that logic is that +5VSB is only present on the 24-pin (a single wire). Not on the SATA.
    John,
    Sorry for the delay. I was waiting for a generic DLED controller to test if it did the same thing as the Phanteks controller. It did.

The poster at HARDOCP replied to your comment quoted above:

'Yes, The PSU only feeds +5vsb into the motherboard’s 24-pin connector, but the motherboard then feeds it into whatever circuits it wants powered up while the rest of them system is off (e.g keeping a NiC powered for WOL) Some newer boards are doing that for RGB effects when shutdown. The only thing that's stumping me about this is that fans usually run on +12v, and the review for the RM750x shows a 12v fan, and the fact that they run slowly indicates they are being undervolted, but how in the world is that +5v backfeed jumping over to the +12v rails."

------

I tested it again and this time I unplugged everything from the SATA rails except the DLED controller.

--System is off, power supply switch is on.

--Nothing plugged into the SATA rail except the DLED controller.

--DLED controller is plugged into the SATA port and the MB's DLED riser.

DIAGRAM: MB DLED RISER-->DLED 5v 3 pin HUB<--SATA POWER CONNECTION

--With the system off, this configuration will slowly spin the PSU fan.

--When I unplug the DLED motherboard connection from the controller, the PSU' fan stops.

So it seems power is back feeding through the DLED riser connection, through the DLED controller, and down the SATA 5V rail, and back into the PSU which spins the PSU's fan slowly.

Is there anyway to stop power getting back through the DLED riser connection?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

John,
    Sorry for the delay. I was waiting for a generic DLED controller to test if it did the same thing as the Phanteks controller. It did.

The poster at HARDOCP replied to your comment quoted above:

'Yes, The PSU only feeds +5vsb into the motherboard’s 24-pin connector, but the motherboard then feeds it into whatever circuits it wants powered up while the rest of them system is off (e.g keeping a NiC powered for WOL) Some newer boards are doing that for RGB effects when shutdown. The only thing that's stumping me about this is that fans usually run on +12v, and the review for the RM750x shows a 12v fan, and the fact that they run slowly indicates they are being undervolted, but how in the world is that +5v backfeed jumping over to the +12v rails."
    +5V and +5VSB are two different rails. It's the +5VSB that's "always on". That is a single wire on the 24-pin connector.

It is true that some boards use +5VSB for RGB while the PC is in standby. But you're explaining +5V going into a +12V circuit.

Now, I will say this.. IF there is +5VSB being routed back through the +12V via some crazy poor circuit design, it could cause the fan to spin. The RMx doesn't have a PWM fan. "+12V" is a fan's maximum voltage input. The speed of a DC fan is varied by varying the DC voltage. So if you gave the fan +5V, the fan would simply spin at a very slow speed.

But I'd be worried about other damage you're creating. If you're feeding +5V back to the +12V fan in the PSU, what else are you feeding +5VSB to that doesn't use that voltage? I would say that long term, you're going to kill something.

------

I tested it again and this time I unplugged everything from the SATA rails except the DLED controller.

--System is off, power supply switch is on.

--Nothing plugged into the SATA rail except the DLED controller.

--DLED controller is plugged into the SATA port and the MB's DLED riser.

DIAGRAM: MB DLED RISER-->DLED 5v 3 pin HUB<--SATA POWER CONNECTION

--With the system off, this configuration will slowly spin the PSU fan.

--When I unplug the DLED motherboard connection from the controller, the PSU' fan stops.

So it seems power is back feeding through the DLED riser connection, through the DLED controller, and down the SATA 5V rail, and back into the PSU which spins the PSU's fan slowly.

Is there anyway to stop power getting back through the DLED riser connection?
    Solution: Don't use that DLED controller. It's obviously shit and if you continue to use it, you're going to fry something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

+5V and +5VSB are two different rails. It's the +5VSB that's "always on". That is a single wire on the 24-pin connector.

It is true that some boards use +5VSB for RGB while the PC is in standby. But you're explaining +5V going into a +12V circuit.

Now, I will say this.. IF there is +5VSB being routed back through the +12V via some crazy poor circuit design, it could cause the fan to spin. The RMx doesn't have a PWM fan. "+12V" is a fan's maximum voltage input. The speed of a DC fan is varied by varying the DC voltage. So if you gave the fan +5V, the fan would simply spin at a very slow speed.

But I'd be worried about other damage you're creating. If you're feeding +5V back to the +12V fan in the PSU, what else are you feeding +5VSB to that doesn't use that voltage? I would say that long term, you're going to kill something.

Solution: Don't use that DLED controller. It's obviously shit and if you continue to use it, you're going to fry something.
    Well, that's two DLED controllers that don't work. As above, one was from Phanteks and the other was just a generic Chinese model. Phanteks said that was one problem using their controller with a Gigabyte MB, and they stated that for that very reason, their controller is only compatible with MSI and ASUS boards.

So, Gigabyte has some strange juju going on, which seemingly makes all DLED controllers incompatible with their boards.

I share your same sentiment with back feeding. I don't want it. I wish I ahd never bought this shit engineered Gigabyte board. (Although, apparently, ASROCK has similar issues.)
    Last edited by DWD1961; 05-13-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

iCUE is iCUE. Some motherboards have iCUE headers. It's not compatible with other standards.
    John, if you repin other brands LEDs connectors to Corsair, then you can use it with any MB. In fact, there s a whole subculture of modders selling iCUE adapters on Ebay and New Egg for MBs it does not support. . From what he said, the iCUE uses an internal USB 2.0 port to communicate with the controller and software, which then controls anything plugged into the controller. It bypasses the MB's DLED riser all together.

I'm surprised marketing hasn't adapted it to work with any mother board themselves, instead of relying on 3rd parties, thereby selling much more.

See here, for instance: https://www.ebay.com/str/piratedogtech

LED connections and controllers are all fucked up standard wise for now. What a mess. However, Gigabyte should NEVER have allowed power to come back through the DLED riser. That's just shit.

I'm probably going to either make my own or buy what I need from that vendor on ebay. Then use either iCUE or NZXT's controller and software for my LED purposes. Pretty extreme measures to get some damn lights working. It seems using the USB is the only way to go.

I wish I had known this before. I'd have bought ASUS.

On the upside, I'm loving my Corsair RM550X PSU. Pretty damn awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JCabanes View Post
    @DWD1961

Yes, I do have a Gigabyte MB. If you disable the 5V SATA connection, how does the controller get power?

I was thinking about disabling the DLED cable 5V pin. Since it is getting power from the SATA controller, it shouldn't need the DLED 5V power wire?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

John, if you repin other brands LEDs connectors to Corsair, then you can use it with any MB. In fact, there s a whole subculture of modders selling iCUE adapters on Ebay and New Egg for MBs it does not support. . From what he said, the iCUE uses an internal USB 2.0 port to communicate with the controller and software, which then controls anything plugged into the controller. It bypasses the MB's DLED riser all together.

I'm surprised marketing hasn't adapted it to work with any mother board themselves, instead of relying on 3rd parties, thereby selling much more.

See here, for instance: https://www.ebay.com/str/piratedogtech

LED connections and controllers are all fucked up standard wise for now. What a mess. However, Gigabyte should NEVER have allowed power to come back through the DLED riser. That's just shit.

I'm probably going to either make my own or buy what I need from that vendor on ebay. Then use either iCUE or NZXT's controller and software for my LED purposes. Pretty extreme measures to get some damn lights working. It seems using the USB is the only way to go.

I wish I had known this before. I'd have bought ASUS.

On the upside, I'm loving my Corsair RM550X PSU. Pretty damn awesome.
    It's "Jon", not "John", BTW. As in Jonny Guru.

I am aware of all of this. What I was saying is you can't simply plug an iCUE RGB strip into an ARGB header or Aura header, etc. There's also the protocol being different, but there have been third part solutions to LINK and iCUE since the day after it came out almost a decade ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm rocking!

I cut the 5V pin going into the controller. No feedback, and since the controller uses SATA for power, I only have the data connected, and it works! No more power feedback. All LEDs connected to it work perfectly.

Just wanted to run it by John and others--is what I did going to be an electrical problem?
    Last edited by DWD1961; 05-14-2020 at 03:06 PM.