Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corsair RM550x Strange behavior with LED hub

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Corsair RM550x Strange behavior with LED hub--SOLVED!

This is with the computer shut down completely.

I just bought a Phanteks DLED hub. I'm using a second SATA connection to power it.

When I plug it in, the PSU unit fan comes on and also, runs slowly two of my fans that are plugged into a PWM fan hub. The fans on the fan hub are running very slowly. The PSU unit's fans run slowly too.

When I unplug the SATA connection from the DLED hub, the fans on the fan hub controller stop and the PSU unit fan stops too.

It's like the Phanteks DLED hub is telling the PSU to stay on in a limited way. Anyone know what is going on here?

Just to recap:

--Plug one SATA connector into the PSU that is powering a fan hub, no problem.
    --Plug in the Phanteks DLED hub to a second SATA connection, and the power supply fan comes on along with two of my fans plugged into the fan hub.
    --Unplug the Phanteks DLED hub, and the power supply and the two other fans go off.

Obviously this is a bad Phanteks DLED hub, but what could cause it to give a signal to the PSU to come on in some limited way and spin up its fan?
    Last edited by DWD1961; 05-14-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

That is odd.

The SATA power is just DC leads. There's no signal wire on it to turn on the PSU. Only on the 24-pin there is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    That is odd.

The SATA power is just DC leads. There's no signal wire on it to turn on the PSU. Only on the 24-pin there is.
    Okay, if there isn't any signal wire on the SATA side, this is getting even more strange. I just shut my rig off and plugged in an SATA drive and nothing happened, as it should. If I plug the Phanteks controller back in, the PSU starts up. It's not really "starting up." The Motherboard doesn't light up and nothing else is powers, but the fan is spinning and two of my fans plugged into my SATA powered Silverstone PWM fan hub start spinning, but not at full speed.

It's like plugging in the Pahnteks controller is somehow turning on the SATA power, but in a very low voltage way (i.e., not all of the fans spin up, probably due to start up reqs, while the other two probably have a lower voltage req for startup and their duty cycle has a lower RPM). But, let's just forget about the fans running and why not all of them are running, for now.

How could some power be coming from the PSU getting turned on when the Phantek DLED controller is plugged in (It is plugged into an SATA port and is plugged into a Y cable from the motherboard DLED riser? I unplugged teh DLED riser signal but that didn't work.

So, just to be clear, the Phanteks DLED hub is plugged into it's own SATA port and the Silverstone Fan hub is also plugged into its own port using two separate SATA cables. Plugging the Phanteks DLED controller into its SATA port turns on the PSU (at least in a limited manner) and two of the fans on a different SATA port on the fan hub start spinning. Unplug the Phanteks controller from its SATA port, and the PSU and power to the fan hub stops and everything shuts down like it should.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts

Could you make some pictures and/or a drawing so that it's a bit more clear how everything is connected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

And the SATA power cable you're using is the one that came with the RMx?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And the SATA power cable you're using is the one that came with the RMx?
    Absolutely the cables that came with the Corsair PSU are the ones I am using:

This is what one poster said on HardOCP:

"The SATA ports on the PSU are not actually separate. They terminate to the same point inside the PSU, so power being backfed into one port will show up on the other.

It seems like +5vsb power (which is always available when a PSU is plugged in and switched on) is being fed into the Phanteks controller somehow, and then backfeeding through the SATA +12v rail. "

Here is a diagram:

SATA port 01: Phanteks DLED hub -- two LED strips connected for testing -- Y cable connecting the Motherboard DLED riser with one side going to the Phantek controller
    SATA Port 02: Silverstone PWN fan hub -- PWM signal wire from MB -- 4 fans connected to the controller

Motherboard DLED: One Y cable, one side going to the Phanteks DLED hub and one side going to the AIO DLEDs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DWD1961 View Post
    Absolutely the cables that came with the Corsair PSU are the ones I am using:

This is what one poster said on HardOCP:

"The SATA ports on the PSU are not actually separate. They terminate to the same point inside the PSU, so power being backfed into one port will show up on the other.

It seems like +5vsb power (which is always available when a PSU is plugged in and switched on) is being fed into the Phanteks controller somehow, and then backfeeding through the SATA +12v rail. "

The flaw with that logic is that +5VSB is only present on the 24-pin (a single wire). Not on the SATA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The flaw with that logic is that +5VSB is only present on the 24-pin (a single wire). Not on the SATA.
    I'll report back with that information. I assume that would indicate that the MB must be involved?

I did some more testing.

I don't know how that slipped my test. Maybe is was too late last night.

Indeed, when I have the controller plugged into the SATA port alone, without the DLED motherboard riser plugged in, it does not spin up the PSU fan or other fans.

When I have the controller plugged into the SATA port AND the DLED riser, it spins up the PSU fan and two other fans operating from my fan hub controller, which is itself using a different cable and SATA port.

Again, to be clear, when I unplug the DLED wire from the Phantek controller, and leave the SATA power cable plugged in, the fans do not run.

I did not test it with ONLY the DLED riser wire plugged in and the SATA cable unplugged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DWD1961 View Post
    I'll report back with that information. I assume that would indicate that the MB must be involved?

I did some more testing.

I don't know how that slipped my test. Maybe is was too late last night.

Indeed, when I have the controller plugged into the SATA port alone, without the DLED motherboard riser plugged in, it does not spin up the PSU fan or other fans.

When I have the controller plugged into the SATA port AND the DLED riser, it spins up the PSU fan and two other fans operating from my fan hub controller, which is itself using a different cable and SATA port.

Again, to be clear, when I unplug the DLED wire from the Phantek controller, and leave the SATA power cable plugged in, the fans do not run.

I did not test it with ONLY the DLED riser wire plugged in and the SATA cable unplugged.
    There you go. I didn't realize you were also plugged into the motherboard.

It's the motherboard telling the PSU to turn on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There you go. I didn't realize you were also plugged into the motherboard.

It's the motherboard telling the PSU to turn on.
    If that were the case, wouldn't the SATA connections be fully powered and spin the fans up 100%, just like when you first start a system and the fans run 100% before the BIOS control kicks in?
    Last edited by DWD1961; 04-23-2020 at 12:23 AM.