Thread: PSU Advice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU Advice

My Specs:
    Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2
    Cpu: Intel Core i7-9700K (No overclocking, may use max turbo 4.9 in future)
    GPU: PNY Quadro P2000
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi LGA 1151
    M.2: (2) Samsung 970 Pro
    SSD: (2) Samsung 850 Evo
    Ram: 64GB (4x16) DDR4 3600 (Will set Ram speed higher)
    Heatsink fans: (2) 120mm fans
    Case fans: (5) 140mm fans
    USB 3.0: (2-5) Could be connected at anytime (these last 3 matter much?)
    Keyboard (2)
    Mouse: (2)

Buying in the United States, and buying and sold from Newegg or Amazon only. No third parties right now.

No budget even though everything is overpriced, why I need help.

I prefer Seasonic and Corsair even though I heard Seasonic makes a lot of Corsairs brands, I usually go with 750 watts or 850 for better efficiency, is that true?
    I saw a Corsair 550 RMx 2018 model for 114 and Prime Ultra Platinum for 140? I'm open to other brands and models?
    What wattage do I really need?
    Heavy Photoshop user, Illustrator, 3D model, sometimes Premiere, 3 monitor and cintiq, not a gamer

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post

I prefer Seasonic and Corsair even though I heard Seasonic makes a lot of Corsairs brands, I usually go with 750 watts or 850 for better efficiency, is that true?
    I saw a Corsair 550 RMx 2018 model for 114 and Prime Ultra Platinum for 140? I'm open to other brands and models?
    What wattage do I really need?

Thanks
    Seasonic only currently makes one of Corsairs PSUs. The AX Titanium (AX850 and AX1000). Most of Corsairs PSUs are made by CWT and Great Wall. HEC make the VS and CV. Flextronics make the AX1600i. The RMx you were looking at is made by CWT.

Having a higher wattage PSU than you need won't make it more efficient. If you want a more efficient power supply buy one that has better efficiency. For efficiency look at the 80+ rating. They're ranked in order of Standard (aka White), Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Titanium.

Your system with a 9700k and Quadro P2000 will only require around 200-250W. The P2000 has fairly low power consumption. The RMx and Prime Ultra Platinum start at 550W models which would be more than enough.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Spotty For This Useful Post:

Murray (04-21-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am familiar with the rating system but I must of been confused with energy efficiency vs leaving enough head room for just 50% under load or whatever a good sweet spot is and what that it is called? Sorry about my bad explaining.

Does the under load sweet spot percentage matter much?
    So the main components in calculating your wattage is cpu and graphics card? What about my other internal hard drives, external, ram, mouse/keyboard, USB and fans? Whats most important? What's least?
    I guess the PSU calculator on seasonic is not as acurate? Told me 650w
    Other then the Covid-19 pandemic why are all the PSU overpriced?

Would be great to know to better understand, thanks in advance!

Thanks to you Spotty, I will probably go with the 550w Prime Platinum plus, looks like its 2018 model
    https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-prim...82E16817151218

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts

Trump tariffs, but that PSU is just overpriced, not really interesting, for 140 dollars I would expect something better.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

Murray (04-21-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Already sold out! So good thing and thanks Mask, everything is overpriced right now though.

What about this?
    https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-s...82E16817139231

I'm open to anything else right now, I may just buy something cheaper and replace later when the manufacturers start pushing orders again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

I am familiar with the rating system but I must of been confused with energy efficiency vs leaving enough head room for just 50% under load or whatever a good sweet spot is and what that it is called? Sorry about my bad explaining.

Does the under load sweet spot percentage matter much?
    No. Doesn't matter. Not really a "sweet spot" for efficiency.

Here's an efficiency graph for the Corsair RM550x from Cybenetics for example. Pretty flat curve. No significant peak or sweet spot.
    https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php...&params=1,0,28
    (Download the pdf for the RM550x 2018)

Attachment 4033

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spotty For This Useful Post:

Murray (04-21-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's an efficiency graph for the Corsair RM550x from Cybenetics for example. Pretty flat curve. No significant peak or sweet spot.
    https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php...baseśms=1,0,28

Great site, will bookmark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Great site, will bookmark
    BTW, this data are collected by Aris Mpitziopoulos, he makes reviews for techpowerup.com and tomshardware.com.

And no, Seasonic doesn't manufacture most of Corsair PSUs, just one lineup. Not that it's a bad thing or good, just don't base your choices on whether Seasonic ever made PSUs for some brand or not, look at PSUs in question, not the brand or OEM.
    And no, don't bother with higher-wattage PSUs just to have 2% percent efficiency boost.
    And assuming you're in US, even Corsair RMx 550W for 115$ is meh, there's Antec HCG Gold for 82$, Seasonic Focus 550W for 103$. But you really don't need nothing more than Corsair CX450 which costs 60$, for this rig assuming you don't plan to upgrade it eventually.
    Edited: due to no availability on your stores of choice
    PS: Also i may be wrong but you probably don't need low end Quadro for that, just get general purpose GPU.
    Last edited by Juular; 04-22-2020 at 03:01 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:

Murray (04-22-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Juular, Thank you for your response, I saw a lot of your comments in https://linustechtips.com/ site which has also helped me. Learned a lot

I understand not leaning to brand name bias but when someone is not as computer savy or forgot all the new tech that came out since I last built 10 yrs ago you need to start somewhere and then I go and research each individually. I can't research everyone single psu on the market but even when you check out a top tier list to help you it seems geared towards gaming which I am not. Wish they organized that list different in a much simple way, like for overclocking/gamers recommend these tiers and photo/video editing recommended here, something for people just starting to narrow down a list then understand how a psu works and what you really need. Along of course with all the details it has. Who knew how important the psu is! Thank you for your support in these sites

No more high end wattage for me anymore. I didn't know that was geared more for people using multi gpu and other high end gaming wattage sucking power

I am in the US and will now only buy from Newegg as a seller/shipper and watch carefully on third party sellers. I just assume Newegg sellers were all legit. Not like Amazon were you need to watch out. Do not buy from BTE Outlet!!! SCAMMERS

You are correct, Photoshop doesn't rely heavily on the GPU but it does on some filters and some other programs I use

Since you are here what do you think about my motherboard choice? Hate RGB, wanted Wifi, but I like Asus interface

Hate how intel changes their sockets so often and didn't want to wait for 10th gen but they work a little better with photoshop then AMD. How about an AMD equivalent? or you a PSU guy!!

Know any other sites and forums geared towards learning computers like tomshardware and linustechtip which I just found?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

I can't research everyone single psu on the market but even when you check out a top tier list to help you it seems geared towards gaming which I am not.
    That's not true, we try to keep it as general purpose as possible. Why you get that idea ? And generally, photo\video editing isn't much different from gaming load wise, only smth like hybrid rendering \ folding \ mining and such would be different enough, but again, we try to account for that.

You are correct, Photoshop doesn't rely heavily on the GPU but it does on some filters and some other programs I use
    And i'm just saying that Quadro P2000 is roughly equivalent to GTX1050 Ti which costs almost 10x less, you almost can get RTX2080 Super for it's price but you you'll be more than good with smth like GTX1660 Ti.
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...-5700-XT-1552/

Since you are here what do you think about my motherboard choice? Hate RGB, wanted Wifi, but I like Asus interface
    I've used this motherboard, it's decent, and it has very powerful VRM, which you probably don't need for this CPU anyway tho, especially without OC.

How about an AMD equivalent? or you a PSU guy!!
    Eh, i'd say for Photoshop - stick to Intel for now.

Know any other sites and forums geared towards learning computers like tomshardware and linustechtip which I just found?
    Nope, sorry.

Also, while we at it, can't help but notice your Samsung SSD choices, assuming you haven't bought them yet i'd recommend to look at smth cheaper, there are a lot of very good options, HP EX920\950, ADATA SX8200 Pro, Team MP34, PNY CS3030, Inland Premium, Sabrent Rocket just to name a few. Or you can refer to SSD tier list thread at LTT forums, we have a few SSD guys there.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:

Murray (04-22-2020)