Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cable compatibility for NZXT Hale90 with related PSU's?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    A voltmeter on a good cable and supply will tell you which pin should be 12V, which ground, etc.

Perhaps better left to someone with experience since you don't want to get this wrong.
    OK, I understand now. Unfortunately I don't have even one good cable for this PSU to test with. So I guess I'd have to find a pinout somewhere.

In terms of the risks, I should be able to test my work without risking any real PC components. I have a cheap ATX tester that, when plugged into the PSU, lets the PSU power on. To test a cable after I re-pin it, I could connect it to an old SATA spinning disk (expendable) and feel if it powers on. I know it's kind of low rent but seems like it should work as a testing approach. If I somehow totally screw up and blow the PSU, it's no big loss. I just like the idea of giving it a life if I can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thebordella View Post
    OK, I understand now. Unfortunately I don't have even one good cable for this PSU to test with. So I guess I'd have to find a pinout somewhere.

No, ANOTHER supply will tell you what voltages should be on what pins.

Perhaps it really is easier to just look up what voltages should be on what pins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ha, sorry I misunderstood. I do have another PSU yes, and I can test voltages from the pins on that. But ... and apologies if I am being dense here, how do I know what voltages are of the pins in the Hale90, since I do not have a pinout diagram or a working cable for it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Ah yes, the cable causes the power supply to shut down, I forgot about that.

Need to figure that part out first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ah yes, the cable causes the power supply to shut down, I forgot about that.
    Yep, catch-22. What if I could find a very good photo of the correct Hale90 cable? If the photo is high res enough, I could follow the known pins for the component end (whether it's SATA or PCIe or whatever) and trace the leads back to the PSU end to figure out which voltages go to which pins at the PSU side. Would that possibly work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

You can trace connections using the ohm meter part of a digital-multi-meter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You can trace connections using the ohm meter part of a digital-multi-meter.
    I do have a multimeter yes. Another idea is that I could go to one of these custom cable sites and buy one of the cheapest cables they would make for the Hale90. They seem to know the pinouts because they've told me they can do it. If I had just one good cable, then I'd be able to figure out the pinouts myself and rewire my other cables, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

It's your project.

Me, I'd measure the voltages directly on the power supply and then rewire the cable to carry them forward correctly.

I forgot about the sense wires (Kelvin contacts); that would complicate the issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 04-10-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just to followup to this story. Thanks to the advice here, I decided to try re-wiring the cables myself.

Using a multimeter I measured the voltages on the pins at the PSU side. This was actually very easy. It took just seconds to map out where the 12/5/3.3/GND pins are.

Then I looked at the SATA modular cable for the "wrong" PSU, and followed where the wires went from the SATA connector (where the voltages are standardized) back to the PSU connector. This way I could see which wires were going to the wrong pins at the PSU. There were two wires, actually, that needed to be relocated.

Following various youtube videos, I used a paperclip and needle nose pliers to extract the pins in the connector and then repositioned the wires. I did this for two SATA cables. It was quite easy.

The PCI-e cable was a little more complicated. It has more wires and they were a little tricky to follow. Eventually I figured out that the 12v and GND wires were reversed. I removed all the wires for this cable and rewired the PSU connector from scratch. Then I tested the cable with the multimeter connected to the PSU jumped to power on mode, to be sure that the voltages were right at the expected pins on the PCI-e side. To be honest, i ignored the subject of sense wires - I actually left that wire disconnected and only used 6 pins to the GPU.

Everything now works 100%. The whole job really only took 15 minutes but it took me several days to put together all the steps, having never done any of this before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

You gotta admit, such projects are the best; figuring things out and getting them to work.

How did you figure out the sense wires?