Thread: Help determining how much power this unit uses: Spec page uses "rated voltage"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help determining how much power this unit uses: Spec page uses "rated voltage"?

I have an Enermax AIO CPU cooler, and I'm trying to figure out what the unit draws.
    Enermax Aqua-fusion 240mm Specs: https://www.enermaxeu.com/products/c...afusion-white/

My motherboard 5v LED riser is rated at a max of 2 Amps

Enermax specs use the term "Rated Voltage." The spec page rated current for the LEDs in the fans is .68 amps each for a total of 1.36 Amps. The Pump LEDs say rated current is .42 Amps for a total of 1.78 amps just for the LEDs in this unit. If I use two more fans with LEDs, I'd be exceeding my Motherboard specs. However, I see people using many, many more LEDs in their systems than that, which brings me to my question:

What is "rated voltage?"

(I've already contacted the company. Nothing back yet. They had to "escalate" my other question about mounting screw size, grrrr.).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    343 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DWD1961 View Post
    I have an Enermax AIO CPU cooler, and I'm trying to figure out what the unit draws.
    Enermax Aqua-fusion 240mm Specs: https://www.enermaxeu.com/products/c...afusion-white/

My motherboard 5v LED riser is rated at a max of 2 Amps

Enermax specs use the term "Rated Voltage." The spec page rated current for the LEDs in the fans is .68 amps each for a total of 1.36 Amps. The Pump LEDs say rated current is .42 Amps for a total of 1.78 amps just for the LEDs in this unit. If I use two more fans with LEDs, I'd be exceeding my Motherboard specs. However, I see people using many, many more LEDs in their systems than that, which brings me to my question:

What is "rated voltage?"

(I've already contacted the company. Nothing back yet. They had to "escalate" my other question about mounting screw size, grrrr.).
    You mean what's "rated voltage" or "rated current"?

That should mean the amount of power the unit uses.

I also don't think the LED's in the pump are powered by the motherboard's ARGB header. I believe it's powered through a SATA connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    You mean what's "rated voltage" or "rated current"?

That should mean the amount of power the unit uses.

I also don't think the LED's in the pump are powered by the motherboard's ARGB header. I believe it's powered through a SATA connector.
    Thanks for the quick reply. What got me thinking that the power consumption was too high is that the mother board manual says: "The [DLED] header can be used to connect a standard 5050 digital LED strip, with a maximum power rating of 2A (5V) and a maximum length of 5M or maximum number of 300 LEDs."

The only thing I can think of is that the 5050 light strip LEDs take a lot less power than the ones in the water block housing. Those 14 water block LEDs are using .42 Amps or .03 amps each. That would be a max of 66 LEDs = 2Amps.

If the fans and block LEDs really do take 1.78 amps total, then I need a hub to add anymore because I'm virtually out of riser power.

Pump Power: The manual says you can plug the pump into the fan riser or a 5V SATA connector if the fan riser does not have enough power. If you plug it into the SATA connector, it runs WFO and you can't monitor fan speed or set up a no speed warning in the BIOS. If you plug it into the fan riser, you can control the pump speed using voltage, which Enermax said was okay in emails I had with them.

I have the pump plugged into the fan riser so I can control the speed and have a no RPM warning when the pump smokes.

PUMP LED power: They are addressable and 5V, and unplugging the LED lead from the riser makes the lights go out. There are two separate leads from the pump, one for the power and one DLED lead. So, I have no idea if the LEDs are powered by the riser or actually from the DLED riser. I do know that unplugging the DLED riser makes the lights go out.

Anyway, that's what got me to post about their power consumption numbers. Seems way too high.

Thanks again for your response.
    Last edited by DWD1961; 04-06-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    343 Posts

That does seem like a lot of power and not what I'd want to plug into a 5050 for power. For control, yes. But not for power.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    That does seem like a lot of power and not what I'd want to plug into a 5050 for power. For control, yes. But not for power.
    Well, right now, I just have the water block LED and the two fan LEDs plugged in so it's 1.78A out of the 2A the DLED riser can handle.

Just to play it safe, I'm looking for a DLED powered hub. Do you now how many Amps the SATA connection can supply over each connector? They all seem to use a single SATA connector. Also, if you know, do MBs have any type of voltage protection to keep them from outputting too much power (in the case you plug too many LEDs/Fans into one)? Back in the day, I know you could fry risers that way. I don't want to try it.

That's probably a better question for Gigabyte. Thank again.