Thread: power supply needs more watts (maybe myth??)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question power supply needs more watts (maybe myth??)

i want to ask a question, apparently somebody told me that i need to have atleast 200 watts extra for psu efficiency or he told me that it will prob not even start or blow up (i think this is ridiculous),
    heres my pcpartpicker:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7L6TNq
    he told me that even if the pc uses up to 400 watts, you still need 200 watts more for it to completely work, is this true??, or do i need just a power supply that can hold up to the watts the pc can use with extra watts like 450 or more?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts

It's bs, however a better PSU is certainly recommended. Better means higher quality and performance, better does not mean more useless watts you don't need.
    If this is a new build a Ryzen 5 CPU and GeForce 1660 (Super) graphics card would make more sense by the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh, thanks, you gave me better specs but i will be sticking with the i5 8400 because it has integrated gpu jsut in case my gpu dies, thats a little bit expensive for the specs (for the gpu ofc), but suits me very well.
    Last edited by ward201185; 04-06-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ward201185 View Post
    oh, thanks, you gave me better specs but i will be sticking with the i5 8400 because it has integrated gpu jsut in case my gpu dies, thats a little bit expensive for the specs (for the gpu ofc), but suits me very well.
    Little bit expensive ? This thing costs just as R5 3600X lol, scrap it, go for AMD, IF you ever will need a GPU for troubleshooting or smth, just get cheapest possible stuff from eBay.

As for PSU, yes, that's bullshit, you don't need 'extra 200W for it to work', and assuming a PSU are good quality (which EVGA BR doesn't exactly qualify), it can work at 100% load under any conditions, even a bit more than that if you don't have other choice, modern PSUs (good ones) are overbuild at least 1.3x over what's needed. PSU prices are a little derp now, chepest decent stuff - Corsair CX 550W goes for 75$ but i guess there's no helping. Alternatively if you care about MIRs you can get Antec Neo Eco Zen Gold 500W for 60$, we don't have much reviews for it yet but it's promising, shouldn't be worse than Corsair CX.