Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corsair TX850M / Doubt about ATX12V/EPS12V Cable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Corsair TX850M / Doubt about ATX12V/EPS12V Cable

Hi,

I just bought a Corsair TX850M PSU and i discovered that doesn't come with a secondary ATX12V/EPS12V Cable, it has only the fixed one and none extra in the modular cables.
    I have a Motherboard that needs the secondary cable, according all reports in the net, when using several components in the Ram/Pci-ex/M2 slots.
    (PC Specs: ASUS Prime X570-P / AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / G.Skilll Ripjaws 2x16Gb 3200Mhz / Asus Radeon RX 580 AREZ Dual 8GB OC / Dell PERC H330 Raid Controller / Xfi Titanium / 2 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB NVMe / 2 WD Red Pro)

I find strange that a PSU that doesn't cost 50 and from a brand like Corsair doesn't include the secondary ATX12V/EPS12V Cable. It's a 2/4 thing! The shipping costs more!

I also have a Corsair HX1000 from 2008 in another PC, exactly as the revewed by JonnyGuru, that came with an extra EPS12V cable for CPU. (2008 and came with an extra EPS 12 Cable... still running fine!)
    I've looked at Corsair cable compatibility and don't have a clue if my model is a Bronze & White, Gold or Platinum.

Now it's weekend and i have a unbootable PC so i would like to know if this cable from the HX1000 can be used in the TX850M:

4.jpg

5.jpg

Thanks for any help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Hi there. The compatibility chart refers to your 2008 HX1000 as "HX White". It comes from your HX's 80+ Standard efficiency certification, which has a white logo. (Your TX has the 80+ Gold certificate, which is gold in colour).
    Unfortunately the compatibility chart is inconclusive when it comes to the modular EPS cable compatibility. The HX Bronze/White column indicates what kind of fixed 24pin ATX it uses, fixed 8pin EPS, modular PCIe and modular SATA/Peripheral, but it doesn't say what kind of modular EPS it uses.

Your HX's cable is keyed in the same way as your TX's slot, and I think it doesn't have a different voltage pinout, so I suspect they're compatible. I couldn't readily find a pinout to confirm, though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:

MinisterOfSound (03-28-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

You don't need a second EPS connector. That's only if your CPU has a high power consumption. Let's say around 300W, but that's more the power consumption of your whole PC. The reason it doesn't has a second EPS is because it's a budget orientated 80PLUS Gold PSU from Corsair. If you would buy a less overkill and higher quality power supply for the same money it could have the second EPS connector and also be a better PSU. The TX850M is actually a useless product, ment for people who don't know anything about power supplies.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MinisterOfSound View Post
    I also have a Corsair HX1000 from 2008 in another PC, exactly as the revewed by JonnyGuru
    Actually, Oklahoma Wolf reviewed that PSU.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi,

Thanks to all.

I'll play safe then and wait for a proper cable for the TX850M.

According to many reports i'll need it, it seems that the motherboard draws power from there to some components like Pci cards and M2 storage.
    Some had the same problem, PC wouldn't boot untill that cable was connected.

I bought the TX850M thinking it was good because of the review at jonnyguru site and i think i need the power. i also have:
    6 x 120mm Fans + 2 x 200mm fans;
    An extra SSD (VmWare/Esxi);
    i frequently need to use 6 sata or SAS hard drives attached to the raid controller (Raid migrations mostly)

Knowing this, was the TX850M a bad buy then? what would be better? I can return it

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

... i would like to know if this cable from the HX1000 can be used in the TX850M:

Do you have a voltmeter? if so you could check the voltages to see if they are what they should be before plugging it in.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ashiekh For This Useful Post:

MinisterOfSound (03-29-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts

I'll play safe then and wait for a proper cable for the TX850M.
    As others have said: You do NOT need it for a Ryzen 5 3600. No way. No how. It's only a 4-core, 65W TDP CPU.

You would only maybe need to EPS12V connectors if you were using a Ryzen 9 CPU with 12 or 16 cores.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi,

Many thanks for the info

I would like to know your thoughts about the TX850M on that build, specially if you think there's a chance of facing problems when using 4 SAS HDD's at full speed.

I don't have a voltmeter but i could get my hands on one, could you please tell me how to check if the cable is compatible?

My HX1000 has 12 years old, never had a problem, i think i never used at 100% load and was cleaned 3 times, is it a reliable PSU in your opinions?

A huge problem here were i live, Portugal, is the lack of components and the delays on the shippings because of the Covid 19, that's why im seeking alternatives.
    Otherwise i wouldn't bother any of you with these questions.

Many thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts

Hi,

Many thanks for the info

I would like to know your thoughts about the TX850M on that build, specially if you think there's a chance of facing problems when using 4 SAS HDD's at full speed.
    The TX850M is a very good power supply. You're not going to run into any issues.

When Mask said it's a "useless product", he doesn't mean to imply that it's not a good PSU. He's saying that it's not a product that someone actually needs. YOU don't need 850W. YOU don't need two EPS12V connectors.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 03-29-2020 at 04:33 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

I don't have a voltmeter but i could get my hands on one, could you please tell me how to check if the cable is compatible?

If the diagram is not enough, you might want to get someone to help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ashiekh For This Useful Post: