Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck deciding between PSUs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Stuck deciding between PSUs

Hi all,

Just replacing my current PSU (CX650M Bronze) with a much better PSU now as it's started to coil whine after 2 years.

I am stuck deciding between RM650X v Be Quiet Straight Power 11 v Seasonic Focus GX (All 650W PSUs)

I know I probably only need 550W but I like to be safe with the extra overhead.

Do you have any recommendations between those 3?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Tizzle; 03-27-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Specs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i7 9700k which standard boost to 4.6Ghz all cores 4.9Ghz single cores (HWMonitor showed it using up to 130 Watts as it auto clocks to 1.35 - 1.36V)
    Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4
    Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC which auto boosts to 2000Mhz clock speed at times but generally settles at 1960Mhz from stock OC mode of 1850Mhz (Uses 230-250 Watts I think)
    1x m.2 NVMe
    2x SSD
    1x HDD
    LED strips
    Quite a few USB peripherals
    1x 240mm AIO
    4x 120mm fans

My socket meter said it maxed out around 466 Watts during stress test and around 430-440W gaming.
    If you pushed it to 120% PL I reckon it would have hit 485-490 Watts maybe 500 at a push.

I know I could probably get away with a 550W PSU but I just like the idea of the extra headroom for expansion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tizzle View Post
    My socket meter said it maxed out around 466 Watts during stress test and around 430-440W gaming.
    If you pushed it to 120% PL I reckon it would have hit 485-490 Watts maybe 500 at a push.

I know I could probably get away with a 550W PSU but I just like the idea of the extra headroom for expansion.

If your socket meter reads 466W and the efficiency is say 90% around full load, then it is actually only delivering
    420W, so there is already some headroom built in by ignoring this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    If your socket meter reads 466W and the efficiency is say 90% around full load, then it is actually only delivering
    420W, so there is already some headroom built in by ignoring this.
    If you read my original question though it's regarding which brand and model, not the Wattage size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Hi all,
    Just replacing my current PSU (CX650M Bronze) with a much better PSU now as it's started to coil whine after 2 years.

I don't think coil whine means it is going to fail, so if you can live with it, stick with it.

Or if you are good with electronics you might want to add some coil lacquer
    https://www.lifewire.com/fix-coil-wh...-noise-4165184

but at 2 years it should still be under warrantee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    I don't think coil whine means it is going to fail, so if you can live with it, stick with it.

Or if you are good with electronics you might want to add some coil lacquer
    https://www.lifewire.com/fix-coil-wh...-noise-4165184

but at 2 years it should still be under warrantee
    I've had this one for 2 years now and it was originally going to be a make do till I got a bit more spare money together as the one I have is bronze budget / entry level PSU.
    The coil whine is just an additional annoyance now as the PC is now on the desk rather than on the floor due to moving house.

I'd rather not take the PSU apart tbh and I guess I'll just go ask on other forums where people don't disregard my original question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Your original post is missing a lot of context. With the information you're giving, you will only get bad advice. If you want bad advice you indeed should go to another forum. Otherwise post your full specifications and not only some specs. And also your PSU requirements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

I guess I'll just go ask on other forums where people don't disregard my original question.
    Duh ... Either will do, they're identical quality wise and there's no disadvantages in buying either really, besides shorter warranty on bq! but it's multi-rail in return.
    But, as were already said, 1) you don't need more than 550W for this build unless you're planning on loading it heavily (i.e not with games) on regular basis, 2) if you have warranty on CXm then ask Corsair if they can replace it due to coil whine, it's not exactly very fitting PSU for this PC but you will have a perfect budget PSU on hand at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Your original post is missing a lot of context. With the information you're giving, you will only get bad advice. If you want bad advice you indeed should go to another forum. Otherwise post your full specifications and not only some specs. And also your PSU requirements.
    I've posted my specs in my second post.
    What other details would assist further? Not trying to be funny but actually want to know what further info would you need for future posts?

It's mainly used for gaming, video rendering, music processing.