Thread: Another "help me choose" thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Another "help me choose" thread

Hello everyone!

So, I've been lurking for the past few months but, come time to start actually buy stuff, I'm going to need your help. I'm still in the process of buying stuff, so... right to the chase. The system:

mobo: Gigabyte B450m DS3h
    CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g
    RAM: 2x4 Patriot Viper Elite DDR4 @ 2400
    GPU: Sapphire RX480 Nitro OC 8gb
    Storage: Patriot burst 240gb SSD plus 2x 5.400 2.5" HDD's

Haven't decided on a case yet but that'll probably be whatever I can get for cheap and hack to get more fans in!

I am also planning to overclock, at least the CPU. Pretty mild at first, considering I'll be using the stock cooler until I find something better (probably a Gammax) but, yeah. OC is a check.

PC's going to be my daily (and only) system with a mix of... well, everything. Some video editing, music recording/production and games, though probably not a single esports kind of thing. I'm more into Witcher/RDR types of titles, generally RPG and action stuff. Won't be playing all day either, although I'm guessing I am gonna dive right in, considering I haven't played any game more recent than mass effect 3. Also, I tend to leave it on all day, as well.

And I'm looking for a -decent- PSU that won't blow up and take everything else with it, something that I'd like to last BUT I don't have that big of a budget. I'm in Greece, where availability of more reputable units is very limited (I originally wanted an EVGA 500B but it might take more than a month to get here, so... yeah) and prices are... well, they're ok, I suppose. Anyway, my budget was supposed to be around 50-55 euros but I can kinda sorta stretch it to 60 for a better or more readily available unit, if I have to. That's just a very long winded way of saying, the cheaper, the better.

First things first, though. Based on most online calculators, worst case scenario is I'm going to need a ~500w PSU. Would that indeed be enough or should I look for at least a 550w unit?

Secondly, is a Bronze rating the bare minimum or can I get by with plain ol' 80 plus, where there are far more units available and at a lower cost?

Thirdly, just by looking around, I've kinda gathered the Riotoro Builder units seem to be quite decent, very neatly priced and one of the very few DC-DC units available. Would that be a good choice?
    I was originally looking at the BQ system power 9, either the 500 or the 600 watt version but it seems to be very mediocre and quite an overpriced mediocrity, at that.

In any case, any input is welcome! And sorry for the long post!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

First things first, though. Based on most online calculators, worst case scenario is I'm going to need a ~500w PSU. Would that indeed be enough or should I look for at least a 550w unit?
    This build wouldn't pull more than 300W at peak.

EVGA 500B
    It's garbage.

Riotoro Builder
    Decent enough, some Sirfa DF + DC-DC platform, sleeve bearing fan tho but if it's cheap why not.

Without links for retailers you have access to it's impossible to recommend anything else.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:

Anthony (03-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thank you Juular!

Well, honestly, if the Riotoro gets an a-ok from you guys, I'm pretty much sold. It's the most affordable and readily availabe, seems like a no-brainer!

If you wanna take a look here's a link of the website we use to find the lowest possible prices for... well everything, although the availabilities are hit or miss in each store. I've already filtered for 301-500w units and it's in ascending price order.

https://www.skroutz.gr/c/30/psu-trof...&order_dir=asc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would try to score the 2600x at least...you may get a duddier one tho..this 2nd one iss...killed the excellent first one between the fitting and didn't get the block seated right after i siliconed it up lol. This one don'tttt like SoC highhh dude not even recommended like 1.1875v....this ones only stable in CB at 1.15v...passed 4275 agian...check that way run awhile then run it agian....
    Ryzen 2600x-Scythe Mugen
    MSI X470 Gaming Plus
    Crucial/Ballistix(Micron) 3200mhz 16gb kit.
    PNY NVME 480gb
    Reference Vega 56
    Mushkin eco3 480gb
    WD Blue 1tb
    Cooler Master GX II Pro 750w

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts

It would make sense to go for another CPU. As you don't need the IGP, so a Ryzen 5 1600 AF makes more sense https://www.skroutz.gr/s/22065660/AM...00-AF-Box.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, a 4c4t wasn't my first choice... I'd planned on getting the 1600 AF (or alternatively, the pretty much same 2600) but I ran out of money mid-build and found the 2200g used for very little so it's pretty much a placeholder to have a running system until I can get something better down the line. Plus, it'll be useful having a first gen for possible bios updates. I also had to budget for a monitor and peripherals, since I've been using a laptop for the last about 15 years or so, so yeah, no money right now for a better CPU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I was curious what options you have there so here, a whole bunch of them from entry-level to high-end :

Entry level :
    be quiet! System Power 9 400W - 38.5-40.5 EUR
    Xilence Performance A+ 430W - 41.5-43.7 EUR
    Riotoro Builder 500W - 43.5 EUR

Mid-tier (better fan mostly) :
    Corsair CX 450W - 53.4-54.4 EUR
    SilentiumPC Supremo L2 550W - 60.5 EUR

High-end (better overall performance and quality) :
    Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550W - 73 EUR
    Corsair TXm 550W - 74.6 EUR
    Seasonic Focus GX 550W - 86.4 EUR
    Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650W - 86.8 EUR
    Corsair RMx 2018 550W - 87.4 EUR

If you plan to upgrade this PC to smth more powerful eventually i'd recommend to go for at least SPC Supremo L2 550W (or CX 450W if you don't plan to upgrade to very high end stuff). Going even higher makes much less sense, the higher i'd go is for Antec probably, it's essentially Seasonic Focus inside, just with 7y warranty instead of 10y.
    Last edited by Juular; 03-26-2020 at 12:55 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:

Anthony (03-25-2020), GDILord (03-26-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thank you so much for the extensive list Juular, I greatly appreciate you taking the time!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony For This Useful Post:

GDILord (03-26-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juular View Post
    I was curious what options you have there so here, a whole bunch of them from entry-level to high-end :
    High-end (better overall performance and quality) :
    SilentiumPC Supremo L2 550W - 60.5 EUR
    That's not a high-end power supply at all.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

Jon Gerow (03-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    That's not a high-end power supply at all.
    Yeah, i meant to place it along CX hence my recommendation.