Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSU shelf life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU shelf life

Hello,

I have an old corsair vs550 psu in a dusty cabinet unused since last 5 years , Im currently doing a budget build , can i reuse this psu or is it risky ??

Does this psu's capacitor still have juice left ?? It was left unused for 5 years .

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

If it's old yellow label version i wouldn't use it for anything regardless if it's still alive or not. If it's new white label version it should be good probably, but that depends on what you're planning to use it with, if it's cheap PC with integrated graphics - sure, if it's low\mid-end dedicated GPU like GTX1660 i would think twice before using it, if it's smth high-end-ish like RTX2060+, GTX1070 etc - just forget about it, get a new PSU (good one).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sk2536 View Post
    I have an old corsair vs550 psu in a dusty cabinet unused since last 5 years , Im currently doing a budget build , can i reuse this psu or is it risky ??

Does this psu's capacitor still have juice left ?? It was left unused for 5 years .

https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:...s_d/thesis.pdf

"
    Many manufacturers specify a typical shelf life for a capacitor or an assembly containing capacitors. The manufacture’s stated shelf life for an aluminum electrolytic capacitor can range from 2 to 10 years, depending on the quality of the component (Kogler, 1999).
    "

Capacitors actually last longer when used.

If it were me, I'd use the supply without too many worries, and if capacitors fail I'd take that as an opportunity to install top grade replacement units. I normally take care to have the replacements have the same capacitance and voltage ratings as well as diameter, so things look the same; but if there is room I am happy to allow more height. Always low ESR and 105°C for the secondary capacitors.

I have been known to take a good power supply with capacitors I did not like and replace them before any signs of failure, and I tend to replace groups and not just those that might have failed.

I have a box of old (but good capacitors) from old swaps and if a power supply fails I try to get it back up and running on an old capacitor while the real replacements are on the way, that way my customers (family) remain happy at the minimal downtime.

And the funny goop... I clean that off and don't replace it, just mount the capacitors flush with the board.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 03-15-2020 at 05:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aren't there any "special" capacitors or capacitor alternatives that can last as long as the chips? If not then somebody needs to get to work on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 99wjtx View Post
    Aren't there any "special" capacitors or capacitor alternatives that can last as long as the chips? If not then somebody needs to get to work on that.
    Normal 105°C electrolytic capacitors might last 3000 hrs at 105°C; now life doubles for about every 10°C cooler, so lets run them at 45°C, which is 6 doublings

3000 x 2^6 hrs = 22 years

So even standard capacitors can last as long as chips, and the fan might be the first thing to fail. Solid state (polymer) capacitors are even better.

Now THIS is a very good reason to underrate a power supply and have it run at perhaps half rated load.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 03-22-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Now THIS is a very good reason to underrate a power supply and have it run at perhaps half rated load.
    It makes a lot more sense to buy a higher quality power supply for the same money, instead of a higher wattage. In a high quality power supply decent caps can easily last more than 10 years. Even if the load is heavy. Just look at a PSU as the current Corsair RM series, they have a 10 years warranty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Just for the sake of argument, not to be offensive, I doubt many high quality supplies can last 10 years (24/7) at full load. The warranty is a statistical gamble that few people will run 24/7, after all a 500W power supply run for 10 years will burn more than $5,000 in electricity, that and many warranties exclude mining.

https://www.evga.com/warranty/power-supplies/
    EVGA PRODUCTS ARE NOT DESIGNED, MANUFACTURED OR INTENDED FOR (I) UNINTERRUPTED USE, OR (II) USE IN CONNECTION WITH BLOCKCHAIN PROCESSING, CRYPTOCURRENCY MINING OR SIMILAR PURPOSES.

But I agree that the extra money should go into a quality unit; I would still get a quality unit with double the power I need. Then again I believe the power supply calculator sites already put in a similar margin, so I would not double what they suggest.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 03-20-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

EVGA PRODUCTS ARE NOT DESIGNED, MANUFACTURED OR INTENDED FOR (I) UNINTERRUPTED USE
    The heck does 'sustained' power delivery rating mean then ? Sustained but not quite ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juular View Post
    The heck does 'sustained' power delivery rating mean then ? Sustained but not quite ?

8 hrs a day?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

8 hrs a day?
    That's bullshit ... I pretty sure it's just EVGA backing their ass, i can't find anything like that in Corsair or Seasonic warranty, maybe it's buried in the manual tho. Maybe Jon could say smth ?