Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corsair RM550x buzzing noise(coil whine) in sleep mode(stand by)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Corsair RM550x buzzing noise(coil whine) in sleep mode(stand by)

I have a problem with new corsair RM550x, it's quiet while working but if I go in sleep mode in windows it`s make very annoying buzzing sound probably coil whine, if I shut down PC from windows itís also buzzing but less. Before I hav corsair cs750m and it was fine, why could it be, can i fix it somehow or only to return it?
    Last edited by rubio88; 03-13-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Are you sure it were new, not opened and used already ? Because it's quite possible that they've handed you already opened unit that were returned for this exact reason. Otherwise you're just very unlucky receiving RMx with coil whine, i've heard just two reports and i think that one were 550W too and Ukrainian too, maybe it's some bad batch or smth. Can you return it ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Juular View Post
    Are you sure it were new, not opened and used already ? Because it's quite possible that they've handed you already opened unit that were returned for this exact reason. Otherwise you're just very unlucky receiving RMx with coil whine, i've heard just two reports and i think that one were 550W too and Ukrainian too, maybe it's some bad batch or smth. Can you return it ?
    Well it's look new, no marks of installing, smell like new. I already install it in my case so there is some marks on it, will be hard to return, and it's only one good shop in my city so even if Iíll return it I won't find another rm550x in my city. I read about some mb bios update or bios flash, change some power settings in bios that could help, can it really? or my only option to change unit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rubio88 View Post
    I have a problem with new corsair RM550x, it's quiet while working but if I go in sleep mode in windows it`s make very annoying buzzing sound probably coil whine, if I shut down PC from windows itís also buzzing but less. Before I hav corsair cx750m and it was fine, why could it be, can i fix it somehow or only to return it?
    The the PFC choke vibrating. The lower the load, the lower the frequency. By product of trying to maintain high efficiency across all loads.

CX doesn't do it because it's not an efficient power supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    The the PFC choke vibrating. The lower the load, the lower the frequency. By product of trying to maintain high efficiency across all loads.

CX doesn't do it because it's not an efficient power supply.
    Thank you for replying.
    Sorry I meant my old psu was CS750M, also gold. Is there a way to fix it somehow? I'm fine with buzz while standby after shutdown pc, but I use sleep mode when ram is powering and holding data, and noise too much for me. And is all of RMx have this sound and if I will buy another one it will be the same?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts

Thank you for replying.
    Sorry I meant my old psu was CS750M, also gold. Is there a way to fix it somehow? I'm fine with buzz while standby after shutdown pc, but I use sleep mode when ram is powering and holding data, and noise too much for me. And is all of RMx have this sound and if I will buy another one it will be the same?
    Oh.. Well, the CS doesn't make the noise simply because Great Wall is a far superior OEM to CWT.

You cannot "fix it", unless the noise is noise amplified by something else on the same mains circuit (i.e. a motor, an old tube TV, etc.).

You could try replacing the unit, but there's no 100% guarantee that the second unit won't do the same thing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

rubio88 (03-13-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts

Can you use an app like FrequenSee (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/freque...er/id583945921 or https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...enSee&hl=en_GB) to capture at what frequency the PSU is making noise at?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh.. Well, the CS doesn't make the noise simply because Great Wall is a far superior OEM to CWT.
    Got it, will be buying only Great Wall from now on, I heard one from walmart is the best they have

Can you use an app like FrequenSee (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/freque...er/id583945921 or https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...enSee&hl=en_GB) to capture at what frequency the PSU is making noise at?
    Will test it.
    Last edited by rubio88; 03-13-2020 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here, near back side of PSU:Attachment 3991
    Last edited by rubio88; 03-13-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts

Here, near back side of PSU:Attachment 3991
    Ok. Thats unusually loud. Shouldn't be that loud.