Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: fried a motherboard due to using wrong cables.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    ok, the corsair hydro stop working
    i'm now using a fan connected to the motherboard.
    everything looks good.

    i'll try to explain the situation. and forgive me, you are the pro, i'm the noob.
    so sometimes i'll do/say something strange/stupid. correct me if i do.

    - at the beginning i had:
    PSU: thermaltake
    psu cables: thermaltake
    the corsair hydro on the cpu. (the cooling system is connected to the psu by a sata cable)
    two fans rgb (corsair) connected to the "corsair hydro"
    evething worked great.
    (i wish i hadn't buy new cables)

    then i bought withe cable from corsair.
    [first error]
    i used the corsair cable with the thermaltake psu.
    the mobo got fried.

    then i discovered that i can't use corsair cables on thermaltake psu.
    i bought a corsair psu (compatible with the cables)
    i bought another mobo


    - so the second situation is:
    psu: corsair
    pcle cables: corsair
    gpu cables: corsair
    mobo cables: corsair
    SATA calble: thermaltake
    [second error]
    why? because i'm a noob and they looks the same. but they are not.

    with this setup the fans speed is correct.
    but the rgb led doesn't work.
    (i probably distroyed the rgb leds)
    i understood my mistake.

    - i used the corsair sata cable
    i was especting that everithing goes well.
    but the fan speed was too high.
    really different from my first setup.
    and the rgb were all red.
    (may be due to the fact that i broke the corsair hydro too? with the wrong sata cable)

    then, i quitted every experiment and decided to ask here.
    [probably the first intelligent thing i did]

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,414
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    147
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    87
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

    Default

    I spent a good number of years in Trieste (Italy); great country.

    I sympathize with your situation; hopefully the CPU and graphics card are still OK.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 03-18-2020 at 03:02 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,665
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    565
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    438
    Thanked in
    330 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger_Trivette View Post
    - i used the corsair sata cable
    i was especting that everithing goes well.
    but the fan speed was too high.
    really different from my first setup.
    and the rgb were all red.
    (may be due to the fact that i broke the corsair hydro too? with the wrong sata cable)

    then, i quitted every experiment and decided to ask here.
    [probably the first intelligent thing i did]
    How are you using SATA power cables to power fans? This part is confusing. How are fans plugged into a SATA? Fans either plug in via Molex (very old school) or three or four pin mini connectors that plug into the motherboard.

    And yes... using the Thermaltake SATA cable with the Corsair pump (which uses SATA power for RGB lighting) will kill the pump because the voltage is wrong.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    when connecting it may have been short-circuited, sometimes unfortunately it happens

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,414
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    147
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    87
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger_Trivette View Post
    i've a "Smart Pro RGB 750W Bronze" power supply.
    my computer is full white, so i decided to buy white cable.

    https://beyondcustoms.net/products/c...es-thermaltake

    is one source of custom cables

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    I spent a good number of years in Trieste (Italy); great country.

    I sympathize with your situation; hopefully the CPU and graphics card are still OK.
    fortunately they are fine. i tested them


    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    How are you using SATA power cables to power fans? This part is confusing. How are fans plugged into a SATA? Fans either plug in via Molex (very old school) or three or four pin mini connectors that plug into the motherboard.

    And yes... using the Thermaltake SATA cable with the Corsair pump (which uses SATA power for RGB lighting) will kill the pump because the voltage is wrong.
    i don't power the two fans directely with sata.
    the corsair hydro is mounted on the cpu.
    the hydro is powered by sata.
    the hydro has 2 "4pin 12v cables" that supply the two fan.
    so, correct me if i'm wrong, the sata power the hydro unit and the hydro unit power the two fans.

    probably, using the wrong sata cable, i ruined the hydro.
    that's why the two fans has problems.

    but that's only a supposition

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,665
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    565
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    438
    Thanked in
    330 Posts

    Default

    No. You definitely damaged something using the wrong cables.

    Fortunately, you can replace it under warranty.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    ok, thanks to all of you.
    i leardned somthing for sure. i'll replace all the damaged components and start again

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •