Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inter-connected fan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Default Inter-connected fan

How much does the inter-linked fan on the Cooler Master MasterFan SF120 help?

Way to go for power supplies?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    286 Posts

Exactly zero.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    How much does the inter-linked fan on the Cooler Master MasterFan SF120 help?

Way to go for power supplies?
    If designed right, it will have zero effect on airflow or pressure but can have a positive effect on noise.

Designed wrong, and all of those categories can go bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    286 Posts

You know how some attic fans are belt driven? I was wondering if you could do that with a PC fan. Because there would be no need for a motor in the hub, you can drastically increase blade size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would the fan size increase actually be enough to move enough additional air to justify the added complexity and trade-offs of that kind of design given that most of the air flow is generated not near the hub but out toward the edge of the blades? I really don't know but it seems like someone could easily model it with a CAD program. The answer is maybe no or else someone would have already done it, or maybe they already have? I think you'd know so probably not!

Anyway, how about a PCB-mounted motor that drives a fan on a shaft? You could build the power supply around the motor. Then, you wouldn't need a central hub on the fan at all - not even for a pulley.

Hey, how about you pitch that idea to Corsair for me, say, in exchange for some neat Corsair swag? A 1000d case, a K95 Platinum XT keyboard (blue switches, please) and maybe some of that fancy RGB cooling stuff?
    Last edited by 99wjtx; 02-27-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    286 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 99wjtx View Post
    Would the fan size increase actually be enough to move enough additional air
    I would think so. We already see performance increases just from reducing the fan hub size from, say 35mm to 22mm.

Anyway, how about a PCB-mounted motor that drives a fan on a shaft? You could build the power supply around the motor. Then, you wouldn't need a central hub on the fan at all - not even for a pulley.
    beQuiet already sort of does this for the new Dark Power Pro. The fan is actually mounted to the PSU with the PCB attached to the PCB. The only thing is, they didn't reduce the hub size at all in the process. Probably because of limited space on the PSU PCB, they couldn't move the motor too far from the actual impellers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, seems like if you were actually going to do it like I describe you'd need a clean sheet PCB design to accommodate the extra space for the motor right there smack dab in the middle of everything. I'd guess that you'd have a lot more drive motor options doing it this way though too.

Actually, if you really wanted to get wonky and preserve a legacy PCB design, maybe you could elevate the PCB enough to put a motor on the backside and simply run the fan drive shaft through a small hole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

duplicate - delete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    286 Posts

Yeah, seems like if you were actually going to do it like I describe you'd need a clean sheet PCB design to accommodate the extra space for the motor right there smack dab in the middle of everything. I'd guess that you'd have a lot more drive motor options doing it this way though too.

Actually, if you really wanted to get wonky and preserve a legacy PCB design, maybe you could elevate the PCB enough to put a motor on the backside and simply run the fan drive shaft through a small hole.
    Yeah. I've already thought of that. You would put the motor on the other side of the PCB and run the spindle through the center, but then I would fear the spindle would have vibration since it would have to go the entire depth of the PSU before terminating at the impellers.

I mean.. your blade balance would have to be hella good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't think of that but yeah - I suppose so. Could you not address most of that issue with a thicker spindle or even one with less elasticity than the steel commonly used for such things? You could also run the spindle through the impeller and terminate it into a bearing mounted to the top PSU cover. It would be slightly less elegant but then that should mitigate any balance issues really well.