Thread: What component causes power degrade?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Default What component causes power degrade?

There are some cases that PSUs initially can't output power as much as the rated power after many years of usage, what component degrade causes this? Output capacitors?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rgbodosk View Post
    There are some cases that PSUs initially can't output power as much as the rated power after many years of usage, what component degrade causes this? Output capacitors?

Is there any real evidence that the power ability degrades with age?

What is a mechanism by which it might no longer be able to supply the full rated power? There might be some reason it shuts down 'early' and this could be over/under voltage or over temperature. Now a large output ripple might be the cause of voltage issues in which case one might blame the output capacitors, or the fan in the case of overheating (or just dust buildup).

Other components might age (transistors, diodes or transformers) but it is hard to see why this might reduce power ability, unless they fail catastrophically under high load and this is what you meant by 'can't output rated power'.

So do you you mean self shutdown before rated power or destructive shutdown?

I still wonder if there is any real evidence that the power ability degrades with age.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 02-25-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Paul/[H]ardOCP did some retests a while back and found some degradation; think you need to use the Wayback machine to find the retests. IIRC, one was a Silverstone something (Odin was Gigabyte).

Edit: Revise PSU name
    Last edited by sdbardwick; 02-25-2020 at 05:01 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sdbardwick For This Useful Post:

ashiekh (02-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sdbardwick For This Useful Post:

ashiekh (02-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sdbardwick View Post

But what exactly does "Did Not Finish" mean?

"inability to perform at full rated output" does not mean it can't still deliver the power, just that maybe "the ripple/noise values exiting the ATX12v specification limit"

I guess I didn't quite know what to make of this thread's question

Quote Originally Posted by rgbodosk View Post
    I took it to refer to power and not voltage. (The voltage regulation degrades with age due to the aging secondary capacitors.)

When it comes to old supplies, I replace the secondary capacitors with top quality units, oil the fan and then expect it to last longer than the original.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If output diminishes some with age - so what, unless you were already running the PSU at or near capacity for some unjustifiable reason. The way I understand it, voltage variance and noise are the bugaboos.