Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seasonic x650 gold shutting down problem / advice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default seasonic x650 gold shutting down problem / advice

Greetings from Romania !
    First of all I want to salute Jonny G. and send my respects .I wish you all the good health .Respect for your experience and attitude you shown us .

I have a very unfortunate experience .Back in 2014 I was building an PC Desktop Rig so I ordered my gaming stuff ,a big 140 V AMD Phenom 2 x4 955 .DDR2 and a big Videocard . and as PSU I got and collermaster since a friend of mine had one saying that it is good .When components arrived and I got the system assembled .After 5 days the PSU was making some noise so I returned it .At the shop they recommend that if I still want to buy from them to try a other coolermaster or get a better PSU An Seasonic GOLD 650 W 7 ears warranty .So I got that and it worked well for 5 years .After this period of time .The PSU started randomly shutting down very rarely .( the thing was my pc was shutting down and I didn't know why ,later found out what the problem was ) . And now The PSU is working , the PC is powering on ,It enters in windows 10 .But when I open up a game that works too ... but in default / safe mode .... 640x480 resolution and low settings .But when I change resolution ,meaning when I draw more power with the video card from the PSU ( AMD r9 290x Vapor X 8 pin + 8 pin connections ) The system turns off . I measured the load my system is using from the was and on idle is 270W-280W and when I'm gaming maxim load is 480W-500W .

Now why is it doing that ? do you guys have experience with similar problem in other PSU`s when they get old ? Is there any way to fix this ? I searched online for similar problem for seasonic X series and there was none ,just reviews .

Since it has 2 years left of warranty .I called the shop to return it .And guess what ? the shop is kaputt .bankruptcy .It got bought by someone else .And this guy wont take my PSU in warranty .Bummer .Seasonic is still selling PSU`s for 10 years warranty .Now what happens if I shop and AMAZON came in my country and bankrupt everyone ? What is the point in paying that much money and getting a 10 year warranty PSU if they break after 4-5 years ?

What are your advice when dealing with this kind of problem ? I head many say not to waste money on a new one ,and just get it fixed .But what are you guys doing ? Have you got similar problem in other PSU models and just fixed them instead of getting a new mode ? I really liked my Fully modular PSU .I still like to use it with no games running on it ,just windows 10 and some music and movies . But I hate it that when I launch a game it's just shuts down .

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-12 at 15.03.53.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Hello. First problem:
    Quote Originally Posted by FaneTM View Post
    Since it has 2 years left of warranty .I called the shop to return it .And guess what ? the shop is kaputt .bankruptcy .It got bought by someone else .And this guy wont take my PSU in warranty .
    Your 7 year warranty doesn't come from the store, it comes from Seasonic. Why do you expect the store to honor warranty that isn't theirs?

Your problems with shutting down may be caused by a wide range of problems, including hardware problems with the graphics card (290X is very power hungry), hardware problems with the processor, hardware problems with the motherboard (especially if it isn't made to handle the power draw of old X4 955), or driver problems. When it turns off, do you need to flip the switch on the PSU off and back on to make it work again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts

Since it has 2 years left of warranty .I called the shop to return it .And guess what ? the shop is kaputt .bankruptcy .It got bought by someone else .And this guy wont take my PSU in warranty .Bummer .Seasonic is still selling PSU`s for 10 years warranty .Now what happens if I shop and AMAZON came in my country and bankrupt everyone ? What is the point in paying that much money and getting a 10 year warranty PSU if they break after 4-5 years ?
    Wow. You have no idea how any kind of warranty works, do you?

If I bought a BMW is New York, and I move to California. Am I going back to New York when the alternator belt breaks?

Your warranty is with Seasonic. Not some Joe Shmo that owns a computer store.

You contact SEASONIC for a replacement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Replay to Orion :

Yes I understand that the warranty if to Seasonic .The thing is that is impossible for me to send it to them .And then have them sent it back to me after they fix it / or replace it . I read all theyr's site for doing that ,and there is a very complex process for me to have it sent to them .I need to coordinate with a currier that transport's it .I don't think that it's even possible to send it .I will have to pay taxes for the border .It's not worth it I guess .The cost will be maybe bigger than a new PSU .

I eliminate the whole range of problems since I put in a new PSU in my system .A smaller one 500W .And PC works fine .Next I moved the Seasonic 650 PSU in a new 2019 system with it's own video card .and it still shuts down .I then moved my video card too . Same result .So the even the new system shuts down from my PSU .

Replay for John :

Man sorry .I didn't know that .I guess I will have to look for a PSU manufacturer that can support a 7 or 10 year warranty in my country . Seasonic will never help me .They will charge me maybe more than Apple

By the way there is a component that I marked in the first photo .I don't know if It's relevant ,but I it's just a shot in the blank . That radiotor is heating up so bad when the video Card starts to suck power for just 1 second ; than shuts down .That radiator is the onnly component in the PSU that is HOT .Very Hot .
    Last edited by FaneTM; 02-13-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts

Replay for John :

Man sorry .I didn't know that .I guess I will have to look for a PSU manufacturer that can support a 7 or 10 year warranty in my country . Seasonic will never help me .They will charge me maybe more than Apple
    Are you sure or are you assuming? Have you tried contacting them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

But he already disassembled it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

European Subsidiary
    Sea Sonic Europe B.V.
    Address:
    Everdenberg 117
    4902 TT Oosterhout
    The Netherlands
    Sales and support: europe@seasonic.com

HOW THE HELL AM i GOING TO SEND THIS FROM ROMANIA TO NETHERLANDS FOR A RMA ?

ANYWAY better witch the topic .Its no point .Better get a new PSU .

What do you recommend for and system with 1.4 V procesor overcloched to more Volts . FULL Peripheral 2 x DVDrw + 8 Mecanical Hard Drives + 2 SSD ; 4 x 2GB DDr2 at 1.9V .2 PCI slot used ,1 soundcard & 1 accesorie card +++ The grand Sapphire R9 290x that sucks a lot of power . And for the case that has 6 coolers + 1 minicoler for the motherboard . And an Ilumination Lite conected to molex to the 12 V line .

Can you help me please with a recomandation for an PSU for this system ? Because I used this Seasonic X-650 W for 5 years and broke it

What models do you recomand from Chorsair ; Seasonic ; EVGA and maybe other brands ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

By the way there is a component that I marked in the first photo .I don't know if It's relevant ,but I it's just a shot in the blank . That radiotor is heating up so bad when the video Card starts to suck power for just 1 second ; than shuts down .That radiator is the onnly component in the PSU that is HOT .Very Hot .

Does the fan turn freely?

I am guessing that is the bridge rectifier that is getting hot; and yes, the warrantee is lost since you opened it up.

Be careful touching stuff, some of those heatsinks could be live.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I contacted you Goodfellas not for the warranty .Warranty was just offtopic .As an experience on how it works when your to far away . I am interested in a solution .Is the B.Rectifier always turning to be that hot ?! Is this the problem or it might be other ? What is the main component in a PSU that usually fails ?
    Last edited by FaneTM; 02-14-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

What is the main component in a PSU that usually fails ?

Perhaps the fan; how is yours? (I asked this earlier)

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Does the fan turn freely?
    If you know how, you can test the bridge rectifiers; a voltage surge may have damaged them. Power supplies contain lethal voltages, even when off, so it might be best to leave this to an expert.

If you are over-clocking now, turn it off and see if the problem is gone (over-clocking causes accelerated aging)
    Last edited by ashiekh; 02-14-2020 at 05:25 PM.