Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get only 5v from PSU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How to get only 5v from PSU?

I have the Phanteks AMP 650w: http://www.phanteks.com/Amp-Series.html

and I want to get only 5v from it for an addressable RGB LED strip. What cables do I need and where I connect it on the PSU:

outputs.jpg

I was thinking I need one of those 6 pins connectors that goes inside the [ SATA / MOLEX ] area. and then according to the correct pinout, choose the necessary pins for 5v and ground. But I am not sure what exactly to buy, could you help me choose? with links from eBay for examples?

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    371 Posts

This is only a temporary solution, right? To test the RGB strips?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

faloompa (01-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No I want to keep it connected. I plan to connect an Arduino Uno inside the case via the motherboard's USB 2.0 header (to control the Arduino) and power the strip from the PSU because the Uno's 5v output can deliver only around 500mA (which is about 8 WS2812B LEDs - each rated at around 60mA at maximum brightness)

I was thinking to connect it to one of those 6 pins at the [ SATA / MOLEX ] but I'm not sure about the connector's name and maybe I can get this type of connector only with the 5v output (Because I think those 6 pins deliver both 5v and 12v? or 5v and 3.3v?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts

The smart and easy option is to use a female molex connector and just connected it to the molex from the PSU.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

faloompa (01-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want to get this 6 pin (molex?) from the PSU to exposed 5v + ground wires and connect them to some junction box (for aesthetics purposes) and from there to the strip, or maybe directly to the strip without this box

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What confuses me is that I thought this is molex:
    Attachment 3964

But the PSU output is like 6 pin thingy and I don't know the name of it, so I don't know what to search

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    371 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by faloompa View Post
    What confuses me is that I thought this is molex:
    Attachment 3964

But the PSU output is like 6 pin thingy and I don't know the name of it, so I don't know what to search
    That is a Molex.

The PSU has modular cables that go from the 6-pin to Molex.

Do you not have the cables that came with the PSU?

Why are you using an expensive, high wattage PSU for this project?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PSU is for an existing PC build and I want to add led strips to the case (want to see what's the RGB hype is all about ). I also want to play around with the Arduino. Do you suggest I find another solution instead of directly plugin it to the PSU?

*The original cables are there but they're not exposed or colored, they're black, I thought I'd get a generic 6pin connector with colored wires and use the correct wires according to the colors, because the different voltages have their corresponding colors according to the pinout, although I guess it can differ (so I can buy a multimeter to measure which one is the 5v instead of using the colors). Also don't want to destroy the original wires in case I'll need them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    371 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by faloompa View Post
    The PSU is for an existing PC build and I want to add led strips to the case (want to see what's the RGB hype is all about ). I also want to play around with the Arduino. Do you suggest I find another solution instead of directly plugin it to the PSU?

*The original cables are there but they're not exposed or colored, they're black, I thought I'd get a generic 6pin connector with colored wires and use the correct wires according to the colors, because the different voltages have their corresponding colors according to the pinout, although I guess it can differ (so I can buy a multimeter to measure which one is the 5v instead of using the colors). Also don't want to destroy the original wires in case I'll need them
    Ok. The way you stated it originally, I thought you were only using the PSU for the RGB lighting strip. Not that this was already in a running PC.

So, the wires are all black on your cables, but that doesn't change the pinout. So if you look at the attachment you had in your previous post, the +5V is the equivalent to the red wire. The center two wires are ground. Just use that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry about that
    I just found an article about modular PSUs: the pinout of the output is not standard, it can differ from PSU to PSU:
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2...les-dont-do-it

So I'm going to have to get a multimeter anyway just to be safe.. right?

Is the following cable ok: (if I want a generic cable and not the one that came with the PSU)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DE-15pin-SA...wAAOSw8m5byCal

I'll buy it, cut off the sata header and strip the wires, then measure where the 5v is and use it. Can this cable do the job? Or it's not capable of holding enough amps? I don't want the LED strip to draw more than it can handle and burn my house down :O