Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MTBF Difference for ax1200i and ax1600i

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Such large MTBF do actually exist
    Yes. I recall Seagate claiming 1,000,000 hours or more for some of their drives as far back as the 90's and I remember thinking "wow! I might reasonably expect my 2GB or 4GB Seagate to last well into the 22nd century!"

When I first saw 2,000,000 listed for the ax1200i my initial reaction was to do what I always do with Internet "facts" -- seek corroborating sources to establish a preponderance of evidence (thank you Judge Wapner). Sure enough, it was in enough places to make me think it *could* be correct. But alas, as the GURU pointed out, everybody probably just got it from CNET (or similar) which is a bit like dumb and dumber.

So much for independent analysis and reviews where power supplies are concerned. I even saw a non-jonnyguru review refer to "mythical" performance results which was kind of funny. Imitation is the best form of flattery, I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

It might actually be possible to build power supplies with 2,000,000 hr MTBF given that some mechanical hard drives can last longer (maybe).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's what I was thinking, strictly from a lay person's non-engineering perspective. My initial reaction was "wow, Corsair is *serious* about this power supply!" but then once Jon weighed in my happiness turned to deflation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

In the 'old days' there wasn't much sense having computer parts last longer than 5 years as by then the machine was obsolete.

That has changed and I am still working on 10 year old machines, so a supply that works 20 years might make sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Most of the time this number its not the actual MTBF when you buy a product, its a number that enter a formula to predict annual failures rates, or similar, its not when you buy HD it should last for 1,000,000 Hrs.
    For Fans the way to go, if you find this, its the 10%L, that the hours that 90% from the same fan should pass.