Thread: I really wanted a 1200 PSU WITH I-Cue compatibility

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I really wanted a 1200 PSU WITH I-Cue compatibility

Why on earth aren't the Corsair HXI's and AXI's (aside from the newest flagship AX1600I) type 4 - 24-pin ATX? I am so confused on this issue as it is my understanding that AX and HX are the best that Corsair has in their PSU lineups. I have read that this may possibly be a cost issue? Also, an issue with the digital OCP having issues in the AX line?
    I really wanted a 1200 PSU WITH I-Cue compatibility that was above a gold rating and not digital OCP. The HX1200 has everything that I want except I-cue compatibility. I am new to builds so if there is a better way to monitor PSU's in general that would be helpful as well. If there is an alternative to I-cue my question then becomes: Should I be looking at Seasonic PSU's?
    If someone could enlighten me I would be very grateful.
    Last edited by Scotch_75; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotch_75 View Post
    Why on earth aren't the Corsair HXI's and AXI's (aside from the newest flagship AX1600I) type 4 - 24-pin ATX? I am so confused on this issue as it is my understanding that AX and HX are the best that Corsair has in their PSU lineups. I have read that this may possibly be a cost issue? Also, an issue with the digital OCP having issues in the AX line?
    I really wanted a 1200 PSU WITH I-Cue compatibility that was above a gold rating and not digital OCP. The HX1200 has everything that I want except I-cue compatibility. I am new to builds so if there is a better way to monitor PSU's in general that would be helpful as well. If there is an alternative to I-cue my question then becomes: Should I be looking at Seasonic PSU's?
    Definitely not a cost cutting measure. Corsair started using the Type 4 cables in 2015 with the RMi series. The HXi and AXi (excluding AX1600i) were released before then which is why they use the older Type 3 cables.

The capacitors in the cable aren't going to make any real difference. The HXi and AXi have such low ripple already that the caps do nothing except show marginally better in PSU reviews.
    https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/blog/E...-Type-4-Cables

Seasonic doesn't have any PSUs with digital monitoring. There's the NZXT E series, however that is 80+ Gold and you'd need to use NZXT CAM software which is shit.

Stick with the Corsair HXi or AXi if you want digital monitoring and 80+ Platinum efficiency (or better).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

Why on earth aren't the Corsair HXI's and AXI's (aside from the newest flagship AX1600I) type 4 - 24-pin ATX?
    Because those PSUs came out a long time ago, before they had the idea to add the sense pins to improve voltage regulation.

I am so confused on this issue as it is my understanding that AX and HX are the best that Corsair has in their PSU lineups. I have read that this may possibly be a cost issue?
    Whoever put that idea in your head is more confused then you, my friend.

Also, an issue with the digital OCP having issues in the AX line?
    What?

I really wanted a 1200 PSU WITH I-Cue compatibility that was above a gold rating and not digital OCP. The HX1200 has everything that I want except I-cue compatibility.
    That's why you get the HXi. HX and HXi are two different product series.

I am new to builds so if there is a better way to monitor PSU's in general that would be helpful as well. If there is an alternative to I-cue my question then becomes: Should I be looking at Seasonic PSU's?
    Seasonic power supplies don't have any monitoring or control (unless you're looking at a Seasonic PSU made for another vendor).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Continuation

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Because those PSUs came out a long time ago, before they had the idea to add the sense pins to improve voltage regulation.

Is is safe to say then that the type-4 pins are better than type -3. I understand not changing a good thing as a company, but upgrading a good thing is always a plus. Why is the HX line upgraded to type-4 and not the HXI? The fact that HX is upgraded to type-4 and not the HXi is where my confusion stems from.

What?

Sorry, I am new to PSU terms. What I was trying to ask here was if there have been any notable concerns about DSP in the marketplace.

That's why you get the HXi. HX and HXi are two different product series.

Yes, I have upgraded from the RM850x to the HX1200i but very disappointed that it is not type-4. This is why I have all these questions (plus I love learning about all this stuff). At this point I am almost willing to give in and splurge for everything that I want and get the AX1600i (type-4, i-cue, 1200+ watts). My only concern is that this is complete overkill for my current build and adds an extra $150. If I decide to add another 2080ti card then this would be perfect haha.

Seasonic power supplies don't have any monitoring or control (unless you're looking at a Seasonic PSU made for another vendor).
    Good to know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

i actually prefer the corsair type 3 cables more than the type 4 , specially that their pcie cables are more durable as they have the power distributed among 4 pins on the type 3 vs only 3 pins on the type 4
    CPU: i7 9700K / Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
    RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB DDR4 @3000MHz GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Advanced
    SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD: 3TB WD 30EZRX
    PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
    PC Case: CoolerMaster H500P Mesh White /Monitor : Samsung Professional monitor S27B970D
    DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 / Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mezoxin View Post
    i actually prefer the corsair type 3 cables more than the type 4 , specially that their pcie cables are more durable as they have the power distributed among 4 pins on the type 3 vs only 3 pins on the type 4
    The pin out on the PCIe between Type 3 and Type 4 are exactly the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    The pin out on the PCIe between Type 3 and Type 4 are exactly the same.
    I was speaking with reference to this link , it shows the type 3 has 4 12v pins and the type 4 has 3
    https://www.modders-inc.com/power-su...-repository/8/
    I guess its inaccurate then , what source should i use that would have accurate pinouts ?
    CPU: i7 9700K / Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
    RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB DDR4 @3000MHz GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Advanced
    SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD: 3TB WD 30EZRX
    PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
    PC Case: CoolerMaster H500P Mesh White /Monitor : Samsung Professional monitor S27B970D
    DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 / Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mezoxin View Post
    I was speaking with reference to this link , it shows the type 3 has 4 12v pins and the type 4 has 3
    https://www.modders-inc.com/power-su...-repository/8/
    I guess its inaccurate then , what source should i use that would have accurate pinouts ?
    Yes. It's wrong and I've told them it's wrong.