Thread: PSU "starving" GPU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy PSU "starving" GPU?

Hi, so I had an old version psu antec 650 true power (links one & two) powering a secondhand msi rx580 8gb oc. From the start (a week ago), it didn't consistently display even to post, one time it powered up to a game (sekiro) at max settings and after 5 minutes it died and gpu was very hot. Tried another PSU, seasonic M12II 620w Bronze and still the same.

We agreed with the GPU seller that he will extend the warranty until it is done checking and got someone to check it - also he got the labor covered. The technician said that the first psu 'starved' the gpu that was why it was acting this way and is basically dead. The first psu has it's amps divided that was why it does not have enough power for the gpu. Is this possible? Or is the GPU really dead from the start? I am really stressed out on wasting $100+ over this. Cant sleep properly knowing there's this expensive-for-my-wallet component not working as intended. Wanting to return the gpu but partly being held by the thought that it was my fault why it died.

other components:
    A320m-k
    8x2 crucial 2133mhz ram
    120gb ssd
    320gb hdd
    windows 10 pro
    P2311h monitor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

That's not how PSUs work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5layershoerack View Post
    other components:
    A320m-k
    8x2 crucial 2133mhz ram
    120gb ssd
    320gb hdd
    windows 10 pro
    P2311h monitor
    No cpu and case?

What temperature is very hot. Did you measure?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    That's not how PSUs work.
    He handed me a paper stating "Conclusion: Inadequate PSU for RX580. Probably to its old design of splitting the total amperes per 12v rail? As mentioned in the review." followed by same info on link two, then "but I highly believe that the GPU display engine is somewhat killed by inadequate AMPS input power."

So if it was inadequate shouldn't it just shut itself off? Im sorry Im very naive to this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by --Sid-- View Post
    No cpu and case?

What temperature is very hot. Did you measure?
    Sorry. R3 2200G. Generic case, no fan. I was not able to measure the temp as its not consistently booting to desktop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

He handed me a paper stating "Conclusion: Inadequate PSU for RX580. Probably to its old design of splitting the total amperes per 12v rail?

So if it was inadequate shouldn't it just shut itself off?
    Yes if the problem was that the 12V rail was split in more then one rail and you where overloading one rail, the PSU just shuts down. Nothing more, nothing less, anything else is simply impossible. The conclusion the technician has given you only points to the lack of knowledge on his part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry. R3 2200G. Generic case, no fan.
    Putting a system that generates 300w of heat in a case without fan is asking for problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

He handed me a paper stating "Conclusion: Inadequate PSU for RX580. Probably to its old design of splitting the total amperes per 12v rail? As mentioned in the review." followed by same info on link two, then "but I highly believe that the GPU display engine is somewhat killed by inadequate AMPS input power."

So if it was inadequate shouldn't it just shut itself off? Im sorry Im very naive to this.
    He doesn't know how PSUs work.

As Mask pointed out, if the OCP threshold is exceeded, it doesn't cause components to "under perform". It causes the PSU to SHUT OFF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    He doesn't know how PSUs work.

As Mask pointed out, if the OCP threshold is exceeded, it doesn't cause components to "under perform". It causes the PSU to SHUT OFF.
    I asked for an article or link that may explain more about the situation. He gave me a youtube link from Tek Syndicate (link) featuring someone you guys might know . Honestly I have not seen most of it because data connection sucks in my place but reading some of the discussions here, the poor PSU is innocent.

Good news though, seller said he will accept the return. I guess he knows it'll die soon. It was advertised as slightly used on a local forum but I've seen him post about the GPU a year ago being second hand already.