Thread: EVGA GM 550 (SFX) feels extremely hot under load

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EVGA GM 550 (SFX) feels extremely hot under load

I just bought a 550 GM, which is powering a 1700X/Vega 56 rig and under high gaming loads the top of the PSU (it's mounted fan facing down in a Fractal Nano S case) gets really hot. I know the touch test isn't so reliable, but I can only keep my finger on there for one full second before I have to pull away, not even two seconds. The side is very warm but nowhere near as hot as the top

I have checked the fan is spinning and it is, I can hear it but it's not overly loud, and the air exhausting out the back of the PSU is warm but not super hot. I haven't had any restarts or shutdowns yet although it has only been installed for a 2 days so far.

Should I be concerned at all?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

The PSU's case acts like a heatsink for the +12V rectifiers, which are mounted to the underside of the main PCB and touch the case through a thermal pad. The PSU was designed to have its case pull the major heat away from the main components, so that's why it gets hot by design. Nothing wrong with your unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

There's no PSU shroud in that case. Mount the PSU with the fan pointing up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    The PSU's case acts like a heatsink for the +12V rectifiers, which are mounted to the underside of the main PCB and touch the case through a thermal pad. The PSU was designed to have its case pull the major heat away from the main components, so that's why it gets hot by design. Nothing wrong with your unit.
    I see, that makes sense, do you know what the max/safe temp range for the 12v rectifiers are? Or hypothetically how much hotter would they be relative to the PSU case temp?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    There's no PSU shroud in that case. Mount the PSU with the fan pointing up.
    I want to avoid this, but I guess I would if I have no other choice. I had an full ATX size PSU in there before that was right up against the GPU, which negatively affected temps. Wouldn't my GPU temps just suck again if the PSU fan is drawing air in the opposite direction, 1-2 inches away from the GPU fans?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dred01 View Post
    I see, that makes sense, do you know what the max/safe temp range for the 12v rectifiers are? Or hypothetically how much hotter would they be relative to the PSU case temp?
    There are five BSC0702LS 12V rectifiers in EVGA 650 GM, and each one is rated for up to +150C (with heavy derating). Each one can deliver 60A at 125C before derating further.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

I know the touch test isn't so reliable, but I can only keep my finger on there for one full second before I have to pull away, not even two seconds. The side is very warm but nowhere near as hot as the top
    That actually means that it is quite cool. If it actually was really hot, your finger will be burned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

Wouldn't my GPU temps just suck again if the PSU fan is drawing air in the opposite direction, 1-2 inches away from the GPU fans?
    Yes!