Thread: PSU recommendation 650w or 750w

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU recommendation 650w or 750w

Hi all,
    First time writer, long time reader. I'm looking to upgrade/future proof my desktop and wanted to get the community's input on a Titanium or Platinum unit. Per the PSU Advise sticky, I've included the minimum requested necessary information (plus some):

• CPU: i7 7700k (plan upgrade to AMD 3900X/3950X)
    • Memory: 2x 8GB DDR4 3200 sticks (CAS 16)
    • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Ranger VII (may change based on new CPU)
    • Graphics card: Current nVidia 1070 (plan upgrade to AMD 5700XT)
    • Drives: 1TB NVMe, 512GB SSD, 2x 7200rpm HDD, 1 Blu-ray, and 1 DVD/CD writer
    • Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540
    • Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB and 3x Noctua NF-A14 fans
    • Overclocking: maybe...

I plan to upgrade my GPU first (next two months), then the CPU around summer/early fall (waiting for prices to fall). Some of the PSU calculators place me at less than 650w, but recommend a 750w unit. Primary use is a workstation (video editing/GIS/modeling) about 32 hrs/week, with gaming ~ 10 hrs a week (Battlefield/COD). Due to the cost of electricity in my area, I'm looking to for a 80+ Platinum or Titanium unit. I currently have an EVGA 500 G2. Although I believe this should cover the system's requirements, I'd rather be safe, than sorry, especially with a bigger GPU. That being said, since there aren't any active reviews on the site any more, and I can't seem to find a "best of" titanium/plat/gold/etc. ranking list, and leave it to the hive mind for recommendations. Leaning towards Seasonic Prime/Focus or Corsair HXi units. Thoughts?

Btw, big shout out to Jonny! Thanks for creating the site and getting all the great reviews out to the masses!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBuddha View Post
    I currently have an EVGA 500 G2.
    A 550 G2?

Anyway if it is what I think it is, then you will be fine. A 5700XT + 3950X build will consume around 400W or less, the PSU calculators are overestimating way too much in order to make money off the affiliate sales links.