Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W and stepped approximation sine wave UPS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W and stepped approximation sine wave UPS?

I read in the Seasonic FAQ that their PSUs should work with the more affordable stepped approximation sine wave UPS, like Eatons Ellipse Eco series. At least, they say it should work with good brand models. Eaton seems to fit the bill. An email to a local sales rep confirmed this - no guarantees but it should work in case of a good UPS brand. And when specifically asked, the warranty does not invalidate when you use the PSU on such a UPS.

Now, when researching this further, I found a post by jonnyguru on LinusTechTips (here) , stating that for the 230V regions, things are different. If the PWM controller isn't programmed to deal with this situation, the bulk caps may fail.

So my question is simple, for the Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W, is it safe to use the Eaton Ellipse Eco? Is the PWM controller capable of handling this?

In case anyone's curious, the waveform of the Ellipse Eco 1200VA model can be seen here: https://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/...200_USB_FR.png

The planned 1600VA model should have the same waveform.

Anyone who knows for sure Seasonic did their homework on this? While it's nice to know warranty will not be affected, I still rather not blow up my PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    In case anyone's curious, the waveform of the Ellipse Eco 1200VA model can be seen here: https://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/...200_USB_FR.png

The main peak looks to be a bit over 300V which is not bad given that a 240V sine-wave peaks at 340V
    Last edited by ashiekh; 01-15-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure how correct the measured values are (just wanted to point out the shape, which isn't really just a square wave) - the only information about how it is measured on the hardwareinsights page is the following:

The measurement is usually taken on secondary side of 2kVA isolation transformer, with 40W lightbulb load (sometimes computer load) plugged directly to UPS output. Rigol DS2072 oscilloscope is used with 1:100 probe. The voltage often floats as I unplug the UPS input cable so it also loses earth grounding, but the oscilloscope has earth referrence. But in extreme cases, it is not only reference error, but even voltage measured with TrueRMS voltmeter directly on the UPS output between phase and neutral differs from nominal 230V output.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

The measurement is usually taken on secondary side of 2kVA isolation transformer, with 40W lightbulb load (sometimes computer load) plugged directly to UPS output.

A resistive load is too gentle a test in my opinion, but if Seasonic says a non sine-wave UPS is OK, I'd tend to believe them.

What says Corsair? At some point the Guru was going to test the voltage on the bulk capacitor when running on a non sine-wave UPS; I don't know if that ever happened. It should be rather easy to do.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 01-15-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The question is, Seasonic says 'it may or may not work, just try it' and still advises a sine wave UPS. Though they do say warranty isn't voided by using a non-sine wave UPS.

Hopefully the experts here will chime in, I do believe there's even a Seasonic rep here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

I read in the Seasonic FAQ that their PSUs should work with the more affordable stepped approximation sine wave UPS
    Seasonic says 'it may or may not work, just try it' ...
    'should work' is a little different from 'it may or may not work...'

https://knowledge.seasonic.com/artic...onic-recommend

"
    Seasonic recommends a UPS with a pure sinewave output; however, a high quality simulated sinewave UPS from a reputable manufacturer could also be a possible solution to be used with our power supplies.
    "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The may or may not came from the email from the rep. And as you quote the FAQ, they really don't pin it down to what high quality simulated sine wave UPS are or who the reputable manufacturers are.

Seasonic rep, where art thou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    266 Posts

99% of the time, with a new PC, there's no issue.

Even if there's an issue, it won't damage the PC. Best case scenario: The PC shuts down instead of going to battery power when the UPS switches over because the PSU detects the abnormal sine wave and that triggers a protection. Worst case: The PSU isn't designed with the proper front end protection and the bulk cap blows up, but that doesn't kill your hardware on the DC side of things.

I haven't had a chance to study UPS waveform outputs, but I will say that the Corsair AX Titanium has been out for some time now, is based on the Prime Titanium, and has had no bulk cap failures or complaints via tech support that the PSU doesn't work with a step sine wave UPS.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Jonathan (01-16-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Seasonic rep, where art thou?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/memb...7-Seasonic-Rep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in