Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: CORSAIR CV SERIES?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    352
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    164
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    30
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

    Default CORSAIR CV SERIES?

    https://www.corsair.com/p/CP-9020210-NA

    It popped out of nowhere, what lineup is it intended for?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    28
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Basically a VS with 80+ Bronze efficiency rating afaik.
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...mment=13134456

    On Corsair's website the Cable Listing for the CV450 lists 2x EPS12V connectors instead of one. Clearly a mistake since it lists 1qty cable and 1 connector per cable. Not that anyone expected Corsair's budget 450W PSU to come with 2x EPS12V connectors

    It has FDD at the end of the SATA/Peripheral chain. Why not just have one of those adapters included in the box that we can throw in the bin? Is it cheaper to include it on the cable chain? It'd be cheaper still to just get rid of it and if anyone does need FDD power connector for whatever reason in 2020 they can just grab a molex to FDD adapter from ebay for $1.99.

    CV450 gets pigtail PCIe cable but CX450 still only got single PCIe cable

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,452
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    556
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    387
    Thanked in
    284 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spotty View Post
    On Corsair's website the Cable Listing for the CV450 lists 2x EPS12V connectors instead of one.
    Where do you see that? I'm looking at the website right now and it says the 450W has one (under the "tech specs" tab.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Spotty View Post
    It has FDD at the end of the SATA/Peripheral chain. Why not just have one of those adapters included in the box that we can throw in the bin? Is it cheaper to include it on the cable chain?
    Yep.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spotty View Post
    It'd be cheaper still to just get rid of it and if anyone does need FDD power connector for whatever reason in 2020 they can just grab a molex to FDD adapter from ebay for $1.99.
    Agreed. I wanted to leave it off altogether.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    28
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Where do you see that? I'm looking at the website right now and it says the 450W has one (under the "tech specs" tab.)
    The "Tech Specs" page is correct, however from the overview if you scroll all the way down the bottom there's a cable chart. Interestingly if you go to the Tech Specs page and then back to the Overview (#tab-overview) it doesn't show the cable chart.
    https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego.../CP-9020209-NA

    Like I said though it's clearly just a typo or something since it shows 1qty cable and 1 connector per cable. It's just the "Total Count" which is wrong showing 2.
    Attachment 3949

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Germany, Berlin
    Posts
    1,651
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,016
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    37
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

    Default

    Corsair still releasing group regulated bronze PSU in 2020. Interesting.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,452
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    556
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    387
    Thanked in
    284 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    Corsair still releasing group regulated bronze PSU in 2020. Interesting.
    Sales asked for a "quick we need a cheap Bronze", and the quickest way to do that was to just upgrade current VS.

    Sometimes (most of the time) sales makes the decisions.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    2,258
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    133
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    74
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

    Default

    A company where sales make the technical decisions and not the engineers?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri; USA
    Posts
    5,121
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    422
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    31
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    A company where sales make the technical decisions and not the engineers?
    Generally, sales make a marketing request, and the engineers do their best to meet those demands. This is regardless of the product being made. Sales/Marketing have a certain price point they want to meet because there is a market, and they identify core keywords of features to sell to that market.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    1,399
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    922
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

    Default

    Sounds like Dilbert to me.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,452
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    556
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    387
    Thanked in
    284 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Generally, sales make a marketing request, and the engineers do their best to meet those demands. This is regardless of the product being made. Sales/Marketing have a certain price point they want to meet because there is a market, and they identify core keywords of features to sell to that market.
    True. It's not like sales engineered the product. I can tell you exactly what three parts needed to change to make VS into a Bronze product.

    But if sales says, "we need this product at this cost in this (short) period of time", you can't go back to the drawing board to whip up a low cost LLC solution. Dev cycle is normally a year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •