Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did all of the old PSU reviews go?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Where did all of the old PSU reviews go?

Just came back to PC world and some gaming after 7 years off. I was looking for my old PSU review here at JG. I can't find it!

Kingwin Stryker 500-Watt ATX 500 Fanless Power Supply STR-500

I have another thread going about whether I should use this PSU in my new upcoming build. When I retired my rig to the garage in June of 2013, I had only used it 8 months. When I bought it in 2012, it was $450.00! It passed Jon's testing with a very high mark (Jon found no hobos is in the unit--lol), and if I remember correctly, it was a Super Flower unit rebranded by Kingwin.

I wanted to use it again in my new build, but I'm not sure if sitting for 6 years has caused it to become a liability.

I have had limited success in other forums, such as HARDOCP, getting any clear answers about the viability of safely using this PSU after sitting for 6 years.

I wanted the link to the original JG review for information purposes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow there it is! Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DWD1961 View Post
    Just came back to PC world and some gaming after 7 years off. I was looking for my old PSU review here at JG. I can't find it!

Kingwin Stryker 500-Watt ATX 500 Fanless Power Supply STR-500

I have another thread going about whether I should use this PSU in my new upcoming build. When I retired my rig to the garage in June of 2013, I had only used it 8 months. When I bought it in 2012, it was $450.00! It passed Jon's testing with a very high mark (Jon found no hobos is in the unit--lol), and if I remember correctly, it was a Super Flower unit rebranded by Kingwin.

I wanted to use it again in my new build, but I'm not sure if sitting for 6 years has caused it to become a liability.

I have had limited success in other forums, such as HARDOCP, getting any clear answers about the viability of safely using this PSU after sitting for 6 years.

I wanted the link to the original JG review for information purposes.
    Make sure you send a private message to "Tazz" and/or email "tazz@jonnyguru.com" telling him what reviews you would like to see back on the site.

He migrated over to a new server, but did not migrate over the old reviews.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey,

Nice to meet you! I've been reading this sire for years before I had to give up PC Enthusiast. Is tazz Oklahoma Wolf? His reviews were so fun to read, as were yours. I really appreciate what you guys do/did.

As long as you are posting, I'd like to ask you a question about that Stryker PSU. It has about 8 month use, but then, as stated above, it sat for 6 years in a garage. Would you be ok using it, or would you replace it? (It was not out in the elements, just in a nonclimate controlled garage.) Would sitting that long compromise it? I don't want to roast the new rig I'm starting to build out right now.

I would probably just try to dig up enough cash to buy a Seasonic Gold, but I can't find one that is fan less on Amazon. Things are hard to find in any configuration on Amazon. Are tehre any other PSUs as good as Seasonic in the same power to price range?

As far as old reviews, I guess they really don't matter anymore. I wanted the one you guys did on that above PSU because I'm trying to find out from others who are more electrically knowledgeable than I am if the unit *can* still be solid or not. I wanted people to be able to seethe components in it to better decide if they thought it would be ok. I know the only way to really know is to put it on your test system. That might be an interesting review to do, comparing an old PSU to how they work when new? That would be interesting, at least to me. If I decide to buy another PSU, I'd be glad to send you the old one to test. Just a thought.

So, as far as older reviews, it probably isn't a big deal because, for instance, no one cares about a PSU that isn't even available anymore, like the one here. It looks like Kingwin stopped marketing PSUs. I'd say the only value old review have is (1) The hardware is still available in the same form or (2) Just to have all of the old reviews back on the site to give it historical depth.

Thanks for posting. Glad you're still around!

BTW another forum user was asking me what the secondary caps are in that unit. I tried to access the entire review, but it's not archived in the way back machine. You wouldn't happen to know?
    Last edited by DWD1961; 01-09-2020 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts

Tazz is not Oklahoma Wolf.

The reviews were writen by me, Oklahoma Wolf and sometimes Tazz. But Tazz is the admin that "owns" the site. That's why I told you to contact him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I appreciate your replies. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Where did all of the old PSU reviews go

Well its pissin me off
    Why the hell would companys support this forum, when none of their links work anymore?

Kinda pointless IMO.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to melpeffize For This Useful Post:

Jon Gerow (02-24-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

I'm also very sorry to see this great site left to die for >1 year now. If the crew doesn't like to invest time any more I can absolutely understand, but why not give it to someone else who cares before ruining it completely?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Cause their olddd and they want em retired probably man...all group reg no convertor all that stuff. some good filters in he lot tho man....These Rubycon's might be some troopers man...Leakage/pass is still nothing significant yet.... right atttt it with their spec leakage .08 but I'm not gonna give a damn probably...and that mayyyy be a little difficult finding that just right Impedance/Capacitance again....
    Ryzen 2600x-Scythe Mugen
    MSI X470 Gaming Plus
    Crucial/Ballistix(Micron) 3200mhz 16gb kit.
    PNY NVME 480gb
    Reference Vega 56
    Mushkin eco3 480gb
    WD Blue 1tb
    Cooler Master GX II Pro 750w