Thread: Power switch jammed on APC surge protector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Power switch jammed on APC surge protector

I've run across a bizarre issue with the APC PH8T3 surge protector.

APC.jpg

I was replacing the monitor for a PC and wanted to switch off power before unplugging the old one. I hit the APC's switch, but discovered that power was still being supplied to all outlets. It seems that the switch has somehow become stuck ON despite it clearly moving to the OFF position.

Strangely enough, I had a similar issue with the same model surge protector on another PC six years ago, except in that case the switch was stuck OFF. At the time, I just assumed it was a one-off failure and opened a warranty claim with APC.

I should note that this model has a feature where two of the outlets are designated "Always On" and will stay powered independent of the switch. However, the switch issue affects every outlet not just those two.

I haven't been able to find anything about this flaw online. (There was an APC recall in the US, but that covers a different model.) Has anyone here run into an issue like this before?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    284 Posts

Yeah. Not much you can do about that. A piece inside the switch mechanism breaks and causes the strip to be always on.

Same thing happens to PSUs sometimes as well.