Thread: How is the EVGA Supernova 650 G5?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How is the EVGA Supernova 650 G5?

I just see that Amazon has a sale on the EVGA Supernova 650 G5, for 89$, and looking at the specs, it is great, with a 10-year warranty. But I didn't see it on any hierarchy list.
    I am one click away from ordering it, help me choose please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

$90 is a garbage price for a low end PSU like the G5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

It all depends on the availability and pricing of others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there_123 View Post
    $90 is a garbage price for a low end PSU like the G5.
    Some people just loooove to call units that will probably last 20 years "garbage."

90% of the worlds PC's are probably running on "garbage". Not to mention the PC that was used designing your "great" psu was probably running a "garbage" psu as well. Isn't that ironic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Some people just loooove to call units that will probably last 20 years "garbage."

90% of the worlds PC's are probably running on "garbage". Not to mention the PC that was used designing your "great" psu was probably running a "garbage" psu as well. Isn't that ironic.
    I didn't say the G5 itself was garbage. Just "low end", which does not imply that it's garbage tier, unless me and you are differing on word definitions.

I said the PRICE was garbage. Assuming OP lives in the US, there's MUCH better deals like the Phanteks AMP 550W for the same price or the Corsair CX550 for $65.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post

I agree that "garbage" is a bit harsh. But it's definitely not as good as a PSU as the units it replaced in its line up (G2, G3... skip G4 due to 四).

The review Aris did of the 750W proves it's not the best choice, but far from garbage: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...pply,6344.html

I reserve the term "garbage" for PSUs with double forward front ends, no DC to DC, no PFC or 230V only, sleeve bearing fan. But even most of those PSUs will last 5 years.

By the way: Since the PCs they use to design these PSUs need to handle large CAD files, run PSIM, etc., they don't tend to have "garbage" PSUs because garbage PSUs can't handle the workload.