Thread: Are we getting too paranoid over PSU's?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are we getting too paranoid over PSU's?

Has anyone here ever had a PSU that died and took components with it? I used no name brand on my old computer for 8 years, it only went in silence without harming anything. I used some TOCHI brand PSU on my LG laptop that lasted 6 years, I replaced my old PC with another no name brand and it went another 2 years before I retired both the laptop and the computer.

I've never heard anyone's PSU taking their components with it. I don't think these things are too complicated to make, or rather unsafe.

I just realized I was getting bit too paranoid over PSU because of how much I spent on my new build. I am starting to think I am worrying for nothing, every single brand has bad reviews and lemons, and it doesn't matter all that much as long as you buy a brand name PSU since they all come with good amount of warranty. And if a PSU lasts a year under proper hard conditions (depending on advertised wattage) it can probably last several more years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Has anyone here ever had a PSU that died and took components with it?
    Power supplies that where killing new PC's is the whole reason Jon started this site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Has anyone here ever had a PSU that died and took components with it?
    Quite a few times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

CPU: i7 9700K / Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
    RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB DDR4 @3000MHz GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Advanced
    SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD: 3TB WD 30EZRX
    PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
    PC Case: CoolerMaster H500P Mesh White /Monitor : Samsung Professional monitor S27B970D
    DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 / Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mezoxin For This Useful Post:

beowulf (01-06-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

It's not always about the PSU failing so much as it can be other hardware failing and causing a power related problem. There have been plenty of reports across the web of shorts causing melted connectors and burnt PCBs because the short didn't cause SCP to trigger, and there was no OCP to stop the PSU from doing it's job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    It's not always about the PSU failing so much as it can be other hardware failing and causing a power related problem. There have been plenty of reports across the web of shorts causing melted connectors and burnt PCBs because the short didn't cause SCP to trigger, and there was no OCP to stop the PSU from doing it's job.
    That, of course, is a larger issue.

But I have seen PSUs burn up motherboards because the power was bad. Funnily enough, the majority of those boards were MSI. Wonder if they just had VRMs with little to no margin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    That, of course, is a larger issue.

But I have seen PSUs burn up motherboards because the power was bad. Funnily enough, the majority of those boards were MSI. Wonder if they just had VRMs with little to no margin.
    That used to be a huge issue with MSI. I honestly would say that sold mostly junk before recent times even though they had some popular high end boards; almost everything outside of the top-end had awful VRMs. Especially back in the S775 days, tons of burnt up P35 / NF650i boards even when competing Gigabyte/Asus boards had no trouble.