Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Corsair TX550M vs BitFenix Formula Gold 550W; <85 USD PSU

Hello,
    which of the following would you choose:

CORSAIR TXM550M 550W (CP9020133EU)
    BITFENIX FORMULA GOLD 550W (BP-FM550ULAG-9R)

They are both ~83 USD / ~315 PLN shipped and after taxes where I live (Poland), which is also around the upper limit of what I would like to spend on a PSU. The Corsair has 7 year warranty instead of 5 on BitFenix, but it's from a smaller, less known shop. I guess I can go straight to Corsair for warranty, though?

The most important for me is reliability and stability of the system - I often undervolt & overclock my CPU & GPU. Modularity is not a must. Fan noise doesn't bother me too much either but lack of it is a nice plus. I'd rather avoid "coil whine".

Is there anything better to consider?

My current specs are not very relevant; 450W would be enough for them, I'm sure, but I don't want to close the door on a potential future upgrade to something like Ryzen 7/9 and a high-end (single) GPU like the 5700 XT. Would these PSUs be enough for that?

Thank you for your time.

Polish price comparator (can be unreliable): https://www.ceneo.pl/
    Shops:
    https://www.morele.net/
    https://www.x-kom.pl/
    https://www.komputronik.pl/
    Last edited by szesnascieznakow; 01-05-2020 at 11:34 AM. Reason: adding links

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

They're both good choices. The BitFenix is the more silent one and the Corsair has longer warranty, that's the biggest difference.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

szesnascieznakow (01-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

I support The Mask's opinion and I also want to commend you for taking so much effort in describing your whole situation and requirements, even down to posting your local computer stores and converting the currency units.
    It would be perfect if everybody seeking advice on component choice wrote their posts like this, every detail in the OP and no further questions needed to help.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:

Philipus II (01-07-2020), szesnascieznakow (01-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    They're both good choices. The BitFenix is the more silent one and the Corsair has longer warranty, that's the biggest difference.
    Also the Formula may (probably) have issues with Vega/2080TI due to multi rail misconfiguration, and the TXm is already silent "enough" for most people...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there_123 View Post
    Also the Formula may (probably) have issues with Vega/2080TI due to multi rail misconfiguration, and the TXm is already silent "enough" for most people...
    What does this mean in layman's terms? Is the PSU misconfigured, the graphics card, or both? Do you mean FG 550W too (that has three 12V rails) or only FG 650W & 750W (that have four)?

I was actually gravitating slightly towards the Formula after seeing Cybenetics raports (again, I'm only a layman)

Edit: Ok, so I think I understand a little bit better about researching it for a bit. So I understand it as surges above ~36A (VGA rail is rated 30A on Formula 550W) on a VGA rail could trigger protection. While I don't think I'll ever go for something so power hungry as Vega 64, just theoretically, would the 650W that has two separate rails eliminate this problem? (assuming I connect two separate 8pin cables)
    Last edited by szesnascieznakow; 01-06-2020 at 06:24 PM.