Thread: Power Supply recommendations? 3700X & 2080

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Power Supply recommendations? 3700X & 2080

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at power supplies and feeling a little overwhelmed, and I could use some advice.

Right now I have a 2500k with a 980, an SSD, two mechanical drives, and some fans - three 120mm fans and my AIO cooler. I'd like to change out my case and power supply now to get something quieter than my current setup and want to make sure whatever I wind up getting will work with both my current setup and the new gear.

I am looking to upgrade to a 3700X and a 2080 eventually. I'm not sure what motherboard I will wind up with - will this matter much in picking my power supply? Do they vary much in terms of power draw and connectors?

Based on the reviews of the 2080 and 3700X I figured I'd need 34A @12V for them, and another 3A or so for my two HDDs and three fans, so I came up with 37A total. Does that sound right?

That comes to 444 watts, and I figured I should add in an extra 20% for safety, which brings me right around 550.

Would going higher affect efficiency or have any negative consequences?

I am looking for something fully or semi-modular, and would like something quiet.

I'm in the USA and I've been looking on PCPartPicker.

I'm considering the be Quiet! Pure Power 11 for $80, but if there's something better in that price range or something cheaper that meets me needs please let me know.

I'm kind of confused about everything, so if I'm overlooking something or you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

The Pure Power 11 is a good budget PSU, for a simple game PC, it's not a high-end PSU for a high-end gaming machine.
    For a high-end gaming PC a good power supply for example the Corsair RM550x makes a lot more sense.
    https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-s...82E16817139231

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

At least for the 500W version, I would only get the Pure Power 11 if it was <=$55.

Enermax Revolution D.F. 650W is on Amazon for $80 with no rebate.