Thread: Newest EVGA GD series. Any good? Decent deal right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Newest EVGA GD series. Any good? Decent deal right now.

I'm looking to purchase a PS for a low-budget build, but want something that's decent. The build will be a Ryzen 1600 in an ASUS TUF B450 motherboard. EVGA 1060 3GB video card and a single 500GB SSD. I will likely upgrade to a 3700X or "4700X" in a few years, when they're cheap, keeping the B450 motherboard. I'll probably throw my 1080 Ti into this at the time of upgrade, once I get a new video card for my VR rig. So, I'll probably need at least a 500w PS for that future system.

I haven't seen many good PS deals lately, but this one popped up on Newegg for the newer 600w Gold EVGA for $45 AR. What do you guys think? Get this, or can you recommend something else for maybe $70-$80 max?

https://www.newegg.com/evga-600-gd-1...82E16817438157

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

GD looks like FSP Hexa 85+/Raider II low wattage models according to many in this forum. They're very low end DF + DC-DC PSUs, so proceed at your own risk. I know I wouldn't, especially with something like a 1080TI, but it's your choice.

Alternatively I would get the Enermax Revolution DF 650W for $80 on Amazon instead. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PB67ZS7...c=1&pldnSite=1)
    Much higher quality and much better, even though they're both 80+ Gold.

If you're planning to upgrade to a 2080TI in the future (or another high power x80TI GPU), then I wouldn't recommend the Revolution DF 650, just out of fear that the OCP may trip on it due to its multi rail design. Instead, something like the Corsair RMx 550 or even HX platinum if you want to go higher in quality would do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GD uses ACRF,not Double forward(assuming DF means double forward).

FSP hasn't made a Double Forward unit for a long time now IIRC except for low end platforms like the Hyper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Epoxy View Post
    GD uses ACRF,not Double forward(assuming DF means double forward).
    GD 2017 uses ACRF. GD 2019 uses DF.

Here's a thread on the newest GD: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/show...00GD-Internals