View Poll Results: What plug sockets do you have in the building you plug your PC into?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • BS 546 5A (Type D)

1 100.00%
  • BS 546 15A (Type M)

0 0%
  • BS 1363 (Type G)

0 0%
  • None of the above (state what is used in comments below)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Readers from INDIA! I need your insight! What kind of plug do you use?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    286 Posts

Default Readers from INDIA! I need your insight! What kind of plug do you use?

I get conflicting information from my coworkers in India about what kind of (grounded) power cords they use around the house, and I think it may boil down to whether or not you are in news construction versus old construction or maybe even what region you reside in.

Some say they use the BS 546, sometimes just referred to as "Type D": https://www.worldstandards.eu/electr...and-sockets/d/

But this plug only supports up to 5A. So they may also use the larger version of the BS 546 that supports 15A, sometimes referred to as "Type M": https://www.worldstandards.eu/electr...and-sockets/m/

This "Type M" is also used in South Africa, other parts of African and some parts of the Middle East.

The other plug I've seen used is the one used in the UK today, as well as some South Asia and Middle Eastern countries, and that's the BS 1363, or "Type G".

So my question to you all is, when you plug your gaming PC into the wall, assuming if you don't use an adapter to adapt one kind of plug type to another (if you do, please comment below) what kind of receptacle are you plugging into in the wall? Does your wall outlet have a BS 546 5A, BS 546 15A or a BS 1363 socket? Or does your building have a combination of outlets installed (again, not including using adapters)? The poll is multiple choice, so you can select more than one.

FYI: There's a good "history of the BS 546" article that I found here: http://www.audiopolitan.com/blog/ind...-it-originate/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Philipus II (01-02-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

I had no idea about this older British standard, and I was born in England!

The move from round to spade type connector makes me wonder if the molex connector might benefit from such a move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    So my question to you all is, when you plug your gaming PC into the wall, assuming if you don't use an adapter to adapt one kind of plug type to another (if you do, please comment below) what kind of receptacle are you plugging into in the wall?
    Most of us typically end up using one of these "surge protectors" ( example ) which also take multiple sockets - USA and UK plugs, to split one plug into PSU, monitor, speaker etc.

Does your wall outlet have a BS 546 5A, BS 546 15A or a BS 1363 socket? Or does your building have a combination of outlets installed (again, not including using adapters)? The poll is multiple choice, so you can select more than one.
    Type D and M are correct, however no one uses a Type M for computers around here. Modern houses now have multi-plugs on the wall which take in BS 1363 and the US plugs as well but these houses are pretty limited.

Type M is reserved here for refrigerators, water heaters and air conditioners. Extremely uncommon to see anyone use it for computers.

If you are looking to include the right power cable with your PSU - Type D is the answer. It is impossible to get good quality Type D cables for our PSUs here - most manufacturers include a cable with a Type F connector, L&N pins will work but ground isn't connected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    286 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jingalalahoe View Post
    If you are looking to include the right power cable with your PSU - Type D is the answer. It is impossible to get good quality Type D cables for our PSUs here - most manufacturers include a cable with a Type F connector, L&N pins will work but ground isn't connected.
    Thing is, Type D is only rated to 5A.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

That is still 1100W (at 220V)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Thatís not enough for anything above 850w, Corsair has at least 6 1kW+ units which cannot use that plug.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    286 Posts

So I decided to look into this further (on a manufacturer level since I received so much feedback).

The plug you would ship with a PSU is the 15A one with the larger ground pin, which is the exact same plug that South Africa uses.

GREAT! Kill two birds with one stone. A plug that works in India AND South Africa!

But wait.... India needs BIS certification and South Africa needs SABS. So? Well, BIS won't certify a South Africa cord and South Africa won't certify an Indian cord because the wires in the India cord are red (hot), black (neutral) and green/yellow (Earth), while the South African cord uses blue (hot) and brown (neutral).

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

When I moved from England to America the change in color coding was a little confusing at first.

Even the brake levers are the other way around on a pedal bike...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    286 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post

Even the brake levers are the other way around on a pedal bike...
    Well, yeah. You're supposed to ride with traffic; which is on the right side of the road in the U.S. So hand signals are done with the left hand. Wouldn't want your front brake to be your only stopping power.

But seriously... this is an insulated power cord. People won't even see the wire colors. But they won't approve it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Well, yeah. You're supposed to ride with traffic; which is on the right side of the road in the U.S. So hand signals are done with the left hand. Wouldn't want your front brake to be your only stopping power.

But seriously... this is an insulated power cord. People won't even see the wire colors. But they won't approve it.
    Are we to suppose that people in India are satisfied with 1100W input (5W x 220V) since nobody needs that much (/sarcasm)?
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold