Thread: ATX12VO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Default ATX12VO

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    If you look through our forums, you can see that the ATX12VO has already been linked and discussed.

You also bumped an old thread with off topic discussion (one person mentioned ATX12VO and you felt that it was your opportunity to bring it up again in the thread). You should start a new thread when looking for new advice for you. There's a reason why sites like Reddit lock down threads after they're stagnant for a month or two.

Welcome to the forums, but please adhere to common sense forum etiquette.
    OK. I have looked through the forum, and the posts assume information that I do not know. I did a websearch and found an Intel PDF on ATX12VO PSUs. So, the information I am lacking: is this going to be the new requirement as of a certain date? If so, what will be that date?
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts

It's effective immediately, but does not REPLACE ATX12V. It will coexist.

Currently, it's like BTX was. Nobody in the PSU industry wants to develop a PSU without a market. And motherboard manufacturers don't want to add cost to their motherboards by adding DC to DC removed from the PSU and putting it on the board.

Grand scheme of things, the product should cost less (total cost of PSU and motherboard) and the system should be more efficient at lower loads, but someone needs to pull the trigger and actually pursue using the standard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

And motherboard manufacturers don't want to add cost to their motherboards by adding DC to DC removed from the PSU and putting it on the board.

How much DC to DC need be added? i.e. how much of the motherboard uses the power supply voltage directly these days?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    How much DC to DC need be added? i.e. how much of the motherboard uses the power supply voltage directly these days?
    There's no way for a motherboard OEM to know how many drives an end user is going to use, and what kind of drives those are. But if the motherboard has four SATA ports, you have to assume they're provide enough power for four drives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Let us imagine that everyone has gone to ATX12VO. How is the 5V for standby and SATA generated? USB3/3.1, for that matter?
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    Let us imagine that everyone has gone to ATX12VO. How is the 5V for standby and SATA generated? USB3/3.1, for that matter?
    From the motherboard, as is the case for my 10 year old HP Compaq 8000

There's no way for a motherboard OEM to know how many drives an end user is going to use, and what kind of drives those are. But if the motherboard has four SATA ports, you have to assume they're provide enough power for four drives.
    Good point, but one can just pass the 12V forward so only need to generate 5V