Thread: PSU for Non-gaming PC - longevity being key!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU for Non-gaming PC - longevity being key!

Hi I am brand new here. Thank you to everyone who has posted. Tons of great info here. I've seen the lists etc and found some great options, but most of them seem gaming oriented, so I will just throw out my build before I go spend more than I need to, though I am willing to spend more if necessary.

See the bottom for comments

This is for a 99% non-gaming PC.
    I want a PSU that will last the longest to avoid repair visits lol. His current PC is from 2008 and I've only upgraded the memory and added an SSD and it's been great for him, with the PSU still going strong but it is time to get a new one.

No Overclocking

Budget $100 but preferably as low as possible to meet the requirements of a PSU that will last.

The build:

Ryzen 7 2700X
    Asus B450M DS3H mATX
    Geil EVO 2x8GB DDR3200
    Zotac GTX 950 2GB (has a PCI-E Connector)
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe m.2 drive
    Likely one ~1TB SATA hard drive for backups and archiving
    DVD-R/RW SATA drive
    Corsair 88R mATX case
    Likely a 27" or 32" IPS WQHD or 4K monitor via Displayport (Why no 16:10 30" anymore, dammit?)

This is a new budget PC for my step-dad that will be used maybe 2-3 hours per day tops. Black Friday had some great deals and all I have left is the PSU. I'm the tech guy of the family and have built dozens of PCs since the 1980s, but only maybe one every few years nowadays.

He will not game on this. The GTX 950 was a gift from a friend who never used it. It's new. I might show off some games to my step-dad once or twice, nothing more.

Btw I initially was going for an i5-9400 system with more or less everything the same, sans the GTX 950, but the build would have been ~$50 more and arguably slower. For regular office productivity and general use there isn't a huge difference, and the 9400 can be better in some instances. My gut tells me the 9400 build will be more stable though, but not sure why. It's still an option if so.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by jmunjr; 12-06-2019 at 10:41 PM.