Thread: 2 EPS connectors on X570 motherboard and how to power them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 2 EPS connectors on X570 motherboard and how to power them

I build a system with MEG X570 UNIFY motherboard. Other system components:
    Ryzen 7 3800x CPU
    1 x Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super OC GPU ((8+8)-pin connector)
    2 x 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM
    2 x M.2 SSD
    1 x WD Black HDD
    4 x 120mm Corsair ML PRO LED case fans
    Corsair H110i AIO
    Corsair RM650i 650W PSU
    I intend to overclock the GPU, RAM (at least XMP profile) and possibly CPU.

My motherboard has (8+8)-pin EPS connectors. According to this video at 04:21 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFwuaZReEg), the second one feeds PCI-E slots. If it is, I was wondering if it will have any effect on my single GPU and whether itís necessary to plug that second connector at all. However, MSIís support asserts that both connectors are for CPU.

I own CableMod C-Series ModMesh Cable Kit for Corsair RMi / RMx / RM (https://cablemod.com/product/cablemo...le-kit-carbon/) that has two (4+4)-pin EPS cables because the kit is meant for PSU of any wattage from RMi/RMx line. This cable kit is a direct replacement for stock cables and all appropriate cables have capacitors on them.

My Corsair RM650i multi-rail PSU has 3 connectors on modular panel designated as 6+2 PCI-E & 4+4 CPU. Can any of them be used for connecting to EPS on motherboard or PCI-E on graphics card interchangeably? If yes, I was wondering if I can run just one CableMod ((6+2)+(6+2))-pin PCI-E cable to my graphics card and two CableMod (4+4)-pin EPS cables to (8+8)-pin EPS connectors on the motherboard? Will my graphics card have adequate power especially when overclocking from one PCI-E connector on modular panel and one cable? Will PSU be able to give adequate power to two 8-pin EPS connectors on the motherboard from two connectors on modular panel using two EPS cables? In this suggested configuration, should I keep PSU working in multi-rail mode or switch to a single-rail?

Thank you in advance!

RM650i_modular_panel.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Buildzoid made an oops, the second 8pin EPS connector does not power the PCI-e slots. They are still powered off just the 24pin connector.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRYudY34tV4

So you don't need to worry about using a second 8pin EPS connector. You won't see any benefit from it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

hello_there_123 (12-03-2019)