Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions regarding LTT's PSU Tier List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Code:
    Tier A+ is required to have OCP, OPP, SCP, OTP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting, well configured multirail, independent regulation, be Half-/Full bridge and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier A  is required to have OCP, OPP, SCP, OTP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting, independent regulation, be ACRF/Half-/Full bridge and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier B+ is required to have      OPP, SCP, OTP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting, independent regulation, be ACRF/Half-/Full bridge and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier B  is required to have      OPP, SCP,      UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting, independent regulation                            and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier C  is required to have      OPP, SCP,      UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting                                                    and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier D  is everything that falls short of the other tier's requirements, but can only have a potential to be dangerous in certain situations.
    Tier E  has heavily malfunctioning protections or far outdated and is not recommended to use with any modern system.
    Last edited by ehume; 11-25-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ehume For This Useful Post:

LukeSavenije (11-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Protections are important factors of a PSU so I agree there. Multi rail is not, especially since it can create problem if users don't pay attention on how they connect the cables and it can be substituted, in a degree at least, by OPP and UVP.

After protections, THE MOST IMPORTANT performance factors, with that order, are ripple suppression, transient response AND Load Regulation and then goes all the rest.

I wouldn't stay in the primary configuration since you might actually have a good ACRF topology, although this is rare. I would point out though the build quality, which is important. BTW Active Clamp is not exactly DB. It is something different and able to offer much higher efficiency levels and extremely long hold-up times. But it has a serious flaw in transient response so it needs a very good design to make it perform well in such scenarios and still it would be inferior to half bridge or full bridge designs.

You should also include output noise, because for example it is not the same to compare a PSU with >40 dBA overall noise output with one that is close or below 20 dBA.

If you want to deal once and for all with the performance section, I could provide you, under conditions though, with the overall performance scores of all PSUs that are available in today's market. After many years I managed to make an accurate score algorithm which includes data from all performance factors and categorizes the PSUs according to their performance. This is how I do the overall performance charts in the reviews. To make your tier list you should take this score in mind and look for the other factors as well: protections including inrush current performance, output noise (dBA), cable configuration and of course build quality. EMI would be great, too! I have data on those as well. All the rest are covered by the score algo so at least you have a good start point.

pm or email me if you need something else, because unfortunately I don't watch regularly the forums.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to crmaris For This Useful Post:

adamsleath (12-17-2019), LukeSavenije (11-25-2019), Mezoxin (11-25-2019), Philipus II (11-25-2019), rgbodosk (11-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
    If you want to deal once and for all with the performance section, I could provide you, under conditions though, with the overall performance scores of all PSUs that are available in today's market.
    Can I have one too? Seriously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post

Edit: ...and the BBS swallows up all of the spaces I put in. Jonny, this is very frustrating.
    Don't look at me. I have nothing to do with this place anymore.

Tony's the one to talk to and I haven't seen him in ages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rgbodosk View Post
    Can I have one too? Seriously.
    Sorry, I just noticed this, please whoever of you guys wants to contact me either sent a pm or an email, since I don't visit so often the forums, unfortunately.

Dear rgbodosk please contact me: crmaris at gmail dot com to discuss it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
    Sorry, I just noticed this, please whoever of you guys wants to contact me either sent a pm or an email, since I don't visit so often the forums, unfortunately.
    i tried already, on november the 25th

did you receive that or did i do something wrong?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Are you guys OK with Nox ratings?

I mean...Nox Hummer GD being tier B+ (we dont know anything about it other than "maybe" using GPS, and thats a big maybe); and Nox URANO TX/VX being tier C (we know Nox is lying about the plataform used, plus there are no reviews about those units).

Tried to make them see reason, but with no luck:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...mment-13097292

Nox units got rated, much higher then they should, based on zero evidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/20...r-gd-review/4/
    GD looks like a stock GPS

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/show...SUs-(OEM-CWT)\
    URANO TX/VX uses a really cheap platform(guess GPT), can't understand why C.

And I personally think that list is not reasonable at all. How can a focus rank lower than a s12iii? XD
    While considering only the internals and performace(that list does not even consider warranty on purpose),
    their problems(protections settings/flaw etc.) should be separately accounted.
    Maybe you can just 'comment' it.
    Last edited by rgbodosk; 12-12-2019 at 01:38 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rgbodosk For This Useful Post:

Delter (12-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Why not put all PSU without reviews in "stay away"? Guilty until proven otherwise is a smart approach for PSU.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Philipus II For This Useful Post:

Delter (12-12-2019), ehume (12-12-2019), rgbodosk (12-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/show...s-Bronze/page4
    LOL

+ actually I made my own list some time ago... like this.
    Guess Jonnyguru tried this before... but I only listed local selling models so there was much less work to do.
    Annotation 2019-12-13 024238.jpg
    Last edited by rgbodosk; 12-12-2019 at 01:47 PM.