Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions regarding LTT's PSU Tier List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Suggestions regarding LTT's PSU Tier List

hello everyone of the JG forum community,

i want to do a simple request here: what would you like to see changed to the PSU tier list on the LTT forum?

I'll be watching here as much as i can, and am willing to discuss problems. I won't be replying to comments along the lines of deletion, quitting, complaints with no ground to stand on or just general rants without usefulness, if you are planning to do so.

there are already plans on table to separate some problematic units like the G3 from actual problematic units, but it depends how it goes internally how quick these come out

thanks for your time

edit: for context
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...-tier-list-40/
    Last edited by LukeSavenije; 11-24-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Actually, 'tier'ing a PSU sounds like not a good idea for me.
    And... why is G3 a problematic unit? You mean this article?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rgbodosk View Post
    Actually, 'tier'ing a PSU sounds like not a good idea for me.
    And... why is G3 a problematic unit? You mean this article?
    i know many aren't a fan of it, but it's meant to be a guideline that should be taken in consideration with (if possible, not everyone can) reviews, which i link a couple as sources since a recent revision.

not the article on itself, but yes, the problems mentioned in it from aris's testing. the g3 was an example here though, it's not the only unit i mean

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

How are you defining tiers? What individual users need in a unit differs widely - Stephan will always rant about protection ICs and Fans, The Guru is eternally unhappy with non-LLC designs and I refuse to look at units with <40c continuous temp ratings.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to awesomegamer919 For This Useful Post:

LukeSavenije (11-24-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Your list prioritizes minor factors like protections and multi rail over what really matters, like build quality. For example, the RMx and Vengeance Silver are inexplicably in the same tier, even though they couldn't be any more different in quality.

Main problem is because of the "methodology", which encompasses too many requirements, most of which don't even matter that much. A PSU could pass all of them except one little thing, like having OPP set too high, and then they're placed in a lower tier than they should objectively be if you weren't using the "methodology".
    Last edited by hello_there_123; 11-24-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    How are you defining tiers? What individual users need in a unit differs widely - Stephan will always rant about protection ICs and Fans, The Guru is eternally unhappy with non-LLC designs and I refuse to look at units with <40c continuous temp ratings.
    mostly according to what i've written down over there

Tier S must have OCP, OPP, SCP, OTP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting, well configured multirail, independent regulation, be Half-/Full bridge and meet c6/c7 crossloads. they exceed a+ requirements and stand out from the other tier units in build quality.
    Tier A+ is required to have OCP, OPP, SCP, OTP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting, well configured multirail, independent regulation, be Half-/Full bridge and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier A is required to have OCP, OPP, SCP, OTP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting, independent regulation, be ACRF/Half-/Full bridge and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier B+ is required to have OPP, SCP, OTP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting, independent regulation, be ACRF/Half-/Full bridge and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier B is required to have OPP, SCP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting, independent regulation and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier C is required to have OPP, SCP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier D is everything that falls short of the other tier's requirements, but can only have a potential to be dangerous in certain situations.
    Tier E has heavily malfunctioning protections or far outdated and is not recommended to use with any modern system.

so nothing really focused around fans, but only on protections and the chosen design configuration of the unit (DF/ACRF/HB/FB)
    temp ratings might be an option, but generally don't make a difference from what i've seen, as most lower rated units fall in low tiers anyways

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Those “Tier A+ and Tier S” requirements harshly penalise low wattage PSUs that use a singular OCP trip point where 3-4 individual trip points are not particularly viable due to modern high power GPUs and CPUs.

You also have 2 “tiers” where ACRF is considered acceptable, and yet Double forward is not, despite them facing similar issues and concerns.

Additionally, you use a blanket “inrush current limiting” which may have differing designs (such as the addition of a bypass relay for the NTC Thermsistor)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to awesomegamer919 For This Useful Post:

LukeSavenije (11-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

I had to copy the definitions to a txt file, then add spaces to see the differences between tiers:

Tier A+ is required to have OCP, OPP, SCP, OTP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting, well configured multirail, independent regulation, be Half-/Full bridge and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier A is required to have OCP, OPP, SCP, OTP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting, independent regulation, be ACRF/Half-/Full bridge and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier B+ is required to have OPP, SCP, OTP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting, independent regulation, be ACRF/Half-/Full bridge and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier B is required to have OPP, SCP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting, independent regulation and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier C is required to have OPP, SCP, UVP, OVP, inrush current limiting and meet c6/c7 crossloads.
    Tier D is everything that falls short of the other tier's requirements, but can only have a potential to be dangerous in certain situations.
    Tier E has heavily malfunctioning protections or far outdated and is not recommended to use with any modern system.

It is difficult with proportional spacing, but I think you can see how irregular this all is. In your definitions, you need something that tails off on the back end, like:

a, b, c, d, e
    a, b, c, d
    a, b, c
    a, b, etc.

Edit: ...and the BBS swallows up all of the spaces I put in. Jonny, this is very frustrating.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wrap it in CODE tags

Code:
    Tier E has heavily malfunctioning protections or far outdated and is not recommended to use with any modern system
    or a table (use the "table properties" to show a visible border, 8 rows, 14 columns

A+ OCP OPP SCP OTP UVP OVP inrush current limiting well configured multirail independent regulation be Half-/Full bridge meet c6/c7 crossloads

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    Those “Tier A+ and Tier S” requirements harshly penalise low wattage PSUs that use a singular OCP trip point where 3-4 individual trip points are not particularly viable due to modern high power GPUs and CPUs.

You also have 2 “tiers” where ACRF is considered acceptable, and yet Double forward is not, despite them facing similar issues and concerns.

Additionally, you use a blanket “inrush current limiting” which may have differing designs (such as the addition of a bypass relay for the NTC Thermsistor)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Agreed. Active clamp IS double forward. They just "clamp off" the peaks of the wave form.
    i could make a change to that, limiting it only to one tier, but i'll first talk internally about that part

if i were to separate the lower wattage single rail units, the list would honestly get way too messy

any suggestion regarding the inrush then?

Quote Originally Posted by GDILord View Post
    or a table (use the "table properties" to show a visible border, 8 rows, 14 columns
    if you look at the methodology on the page, there are two spoilers already containing a table of it