Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me chose a good PSU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    241 Posts

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by pinopinotto View Post
    As you can see, I am actually using a Corsair CX750M PSU...which proved to be a real s***.
    I bought it two years ago, and it literally fried two MSI "mortar" motherboards.
    How was it determined that the PSUs killed the motherboards?

I suspected power surges to be involved
    Why? Is your home prone to poor power?

Even then, that shouldn't kill a motherboard. The PSU would die and everything on the DC side would remain unfazed.

...then my PC started to reboot randomly as soon as it reaches OS login (win10x64 here)
    How do we know this is the PSU?

.. .and I read around about the CX750 to be a pile of crap.
    I've never read that the CX-M is a pile of crap from anyone that knows what they're talking about. I mean, there's a lot worse out there from a lot more recognized brands. I know I can be a bit of an elitist and tell people that the VS and CX-M should be avoided because of the topology, but at least the CX-M has DC to DC for the 3.3V and 5V.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    How was it determined that the PSUs killed the motherboards?
    Let's see...just bear with me, it is going to take a bit to reconstruct, more than a year has passed since.
    The first configuration of my rig (2 years ago) featured a different MB (MSI mortar) and a different NVIDIA board (MSI nvidia GTX 750).
    The first issue (not the one at hand) manifested itself during gameplay (can't really remember the videogame). Blank screen, reboot.
    Since then, each activity involving usage of 3d video would trigger blank screen+reboot.
    I changed the videocard, but the issue persisted.
    I changed the RAM, but the issue persisted.
    Frustrated, I completely disassembled the rig....and I noticed the fried Motherboard (I cannot remember precisely where, but it had a black burnt stain, so I knew it was it, or at least I assumed so).
    Being it under warranty, I changed the motherboard. To stay on the safe side, I bought a new power strip with power surge protector as well (I have had no electrical issues whatsoever with the old one, but you never know).
    I put in the new motherboard, the new power strip and all went well for a few months.
    Then the issues came back, abruptly and randomly (usually at boot or when using hig-level graphics).
    I once again disassembled my rig, and the MB was burnt again, this time in a different spot (again, bear with me: I am no technician, so I really cannot remember exactly where. I remember checking throughly it and finding another black burnt stain).
    This time I was fed up with the MB, and, since Amazon would not offer its replacement and MSI official support refused to help me at all, I changed to the current ASUS one.
    To stay on the safe side, I used the warranty of the PSU to change it as well.

I put the different MB and the new PSU in my pc, and all seemed to go well...

...again, until a few months ago, my PC started to reboot randomly, each time within 3-45 seconds from booting in window 10.
    This time, I went throughly:
    - I disassembled all and checked CPU, GPU and MB; no visible issues
    - I ran diagnostics on RAM sticks and all HDD/SSDs: no issues
    - I ran my PC on lo-graphics, lo system, etc, getting no issues.
    - Suspecting the issue to be the GPU, I took it out and booted with the onboard one: crash still occurred randomly.
    - I tried different RAM sticks, different HDDs, excluding the frontpanel and the BDVD recorder, without success: it still crashes.
    - I investigated the issue on the software side as well: I formatted my system and reinstalled a clean Win10. First boot, first crashes.

...the only one component which I have not checked, I think, is the PSU, since it is the only one I don't trust myself to pry open.
    That's where I got the idea of changing it with a different one, trying to choose a different brand as well.

Why? Is your home prone to poor power?

Even then, that shouldn't kill a motherboard. The PSU would die and everything on the DC side would remain unfazed.
    How do we know this is the PSU?
    As you can see from the above description, I never had electricity issues, and I took steps to ensure no power shock happened to my PC. However the issue is still there, and the only piece of hardware left to change seems to be the PSU.

I've never read that the CX-M is a pile of crap from anyone that knows what they're talking about. I mean, there's a lot worse out there from a lot more recognized brands. I know I can be a bit of an elitist and tell people that the VS and CX-M should be avoided because of the topology, but at least the CX-M has DC to DC for the 3.3V and 5V.
    I am not an expert, but when I recently searched online for the exact model, I found many topics and videos of people complaining about it. That's when it downed on me that the issue might have been in a bad PSU model all along...
    My Rig:

CPU Intel Core i7-6700k
    Motherboard ASUS Prime Z270-A
    RAM 16GB DDR-4 Corsair
    GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
    PSU CX750M
    1 x SSD 120GB
    2 x HDD 7.2RPM
    1 x 80RPM fan
    1 x CoolerMaster Seidon 120 liquid CPU cooler
    LG BD-Writer
    FrontBay 2 x 2.0 USB ports + 3 x USB 3.0 ports + cardreader
    K260 combo wifi KB+mouse
    external USB wifi adapter
    ..and my trusty USB 2.0 TARDIS Hub

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

You didn't had a PSU problem. A PSU just doesn't create burn spots on your motherboard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

And the whole bit about being able to boot up and run -- doesn't sound like a PSU issue.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ok, so...this was not the original question but I suppose it would not hurt to ask here as well (I've been asking around since months): if the issue is not PSU-related, what would it be, in your opinion?

Half the times the system boots regularly, while the other half it rebbots at least once by itself, before working correctly.
    Last edited by pinopinotto; 11-24-2019 at 12:18 PM. Reason: few issues more
    My Rig:

CPU Intel Core i7-6700k
    RAM 16GB DDR-4 Corsair
    PSU CX750M
    1 x SSD 120GB
    2 x HDD 7.2RPM
    1 x 80RPM fan
    LG BD-Writer
    K260 combo wifi KB+mouse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

* Check the CMOS battery

* Check the UEFI/BIOS is up to date

You already seem to have tried

* Test the RAM (MemTest is free)

* Test the hard drive

Perhaps check the power supply voltages with a digital volt meter

Can you send pictures of the burn marks?

Why are you using liquid cooling if you are not overclocking?
    Last edited by ashiekh; 11-24-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    241 Posts

Yeah... a little late to the conversation, but as others have said: That's not a PSU problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    * Check the CMOS battery

* Check the UEFI/BIOS is up to date

You already seem to have tried

* Test the RAM (MemTest is free)

* Test the hard drive

Perhaps check the power supply voltages with a digital volt meter

Can you send pictures of the burn marks?

Why are you using liquid cooling if you are not overclocking?
    Quick update on these suggestions:

* I will check the CMOS battery...never did with this MB. Would you perhaps recommend a CMOS reset as well? (I can't really think what good would it do, but I am desperate to try anything, so why not?)

* UEFI/BIOS is updated to its latest version (PRIME Z270-A BIOS 1302, 2018/04/17), but I will check again tonight, just in case.

* RAM and HDD were tested, and I did test them again last night. No issues.

* I will try to check the power supply voltage, but I do not think I will find anything amiss...never did have a single issue with voltage at home...I'll have to borrow a meter from a friend, though, and this might take a little while...

* I cannot provide you with pictures of the burn marks, since the old burnt Motherboards were scrapped and recycled, as described.

DO please list anything else you think I should try...I'd really like to fix this (even if the discussion is now officially a little OT :P ).

....and, again, as ever: many many thanks to you all for your suggestions, I really hope to finally fix this once and for all...
    My Rig:

CPU Intel Core i7-6700k
    RAM 16GB DDR-4 Corsair
    PSU CX750M
    1 x SSD 120GB
    2 x HDD 7.2RPM
    1 x 80RPM fan
    LG BD-Writer
    K260 combo wifi KB+mouse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I tend to take things a little too far sometimes and treat contacts with silicone oil.

Did you test for bad sectors on the hard drive, how is the SMART status? (HD tune)

What did you use to test the RAM?

Checked for firmware updates on your SSD? I tend to update everything including DVD drives.

What temperatures are the CPU, GPU running at? (Speccy)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    I tend to take things a little too far sometimes and treat contacts with silicone oil.

Did you test for bad sectors on the hard drive, how is the SMART status? (HD tune)

What did you use to test the RAM?

Checked for firmware updates on your SSD? I tend to update everything including DVD drives.

What temperatures are the CPU, GPU running at? (Speccy)
    Let's see:
    - I still have to check the CMOS battery (I've been working late, so I barely have time to sleep);
    - I already checked for bad sectors a while ago. None found,SMART read ok. Will check it again, just in case,but I do not think this is related to HDDs or RAM;
    - I tested my RAM with memtest, and even switched RAM with different sticks, no avail, so I guess it is not the RAM;
    - I did not check for my SSD firmware updates...because the SSD is the last component I bought, one month ago, to test if the issue was related to HDDs or not.
    I will however definitely check for any firmware updates for all my system components,just in case...
    - I will post a speccy link ASAP...temperatures never go over 45/50,if I remember well...default temperature reads at 35-40,and is quite stable...the fan and the liquid cooler do their job wonderfully, I guess.
    My Rig:

CPU Intel Core i7-6700k
    RAM 16GB DDR-4 Corsair
    PSU CX750M
    1 x SSD 120GB
    2 x HDD 7.2RPM
    1 x 80RPM fan
    LG BD-Writer