69 Posts

Finally figured out

AIO = All In One

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    286 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    Funny. I always thought that AIO developers had picked the best fans for the purpose. As for quietness: it depended on the AIO.
    Not of the major brands (Corsair, TT and CM).

If they were really using the best fans for the application, I could use those same fans in PSUs and not have to pay for tooling new fan frames and blades.

The unfortunate truth is that the RGB lighting effects are patented by incompetent fan manufacturers. Since RGB is currently dominating the DIY market, we're stuck with inferior fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Yikes! Could use some cable management there.
    Ehm...yes, I guess I should... This is actually the first time I build a PC from scratch, and the Bitfenix Comrade Window case, abeit being the only case to fit the only space available for it in my library, it's quite smallish...I did my best with the cables, but keep in mind I am constantly disassembling and reassembling things to pin down the issue, so the case is a little messy...

LOL! "Water cooling".

It's just an AIO. It's much quieter than an air cooler and less likely to break your motherboard if you move your PC around.

Most people that use AIO's are not overclocking.

To me, "water cooling" is custom loop products. Those people typically ARE overclocking.
    It's an AIO product, gift fom a friend of mine...I used to have the basic heatsink myself, but I grew fond of the little guy. Almost no sound at all, for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Mezoxin View Post
    I've never seen somone getting some random shorts like that on their motherboard are you sure no one is sabbotaging your pc when your travelling , maybe loosening some contacts making them overheat i dont know , do crawling bugs inside a pc case cause shorts i am just thinking random thoughts i will stop
    Funny man... I live alone, no one has my house keys, BTW, not even the cleaning lady, so I guess no sabotage occurred...

Anyway...AFAICS, no-one noticed anything visibly amiss in my case (if not a few tangled cables, that is)...am I right?
    I had a couple of reboots last week, and I noticed each of them occurred when I had a DVD into the BD-player...now I know this might be stupid, but I think I will try disconnecting it, tonight, before turning my PC on, and I will try to reboot a few times, to see if that was just a random coincidence...
    My Rig:

CPU Intel Core i7-6700k
    Motherboard ASUS Prime Z270-A
    RAM 16GB DDR-4 Corsair
    GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
    PSU CX750M
    1 x SSD 120GB
    2 x HDD 7.2RPM
    1 x 80RPM fan
    1 x CoolerMaster Seidon 120 liquid CPU cooler
    LG BD-Writer
    FrontBay 2 x 2.0 USB ports + 3 x USB 3.0 ports + cardreader
    K260 combo wifi KB+mouse
    external USB wifi adapter
    ..and my trusty USB 2.0 TARDIS Hub

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Not of the major brands (Corsair, TT and CM).

If they were really using the best fans for the application, I could use those same fans in PSUs and not have to pay for tooling new fan frames and blades.

The unfortunate truth is that the RGB lighting effects are patented by incompetent fan manufacturers. Since RGB is currently dominating the DIY market, we're stuck with inferior fans.
    But Asus uses Notcuas!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could of overlooked it but I didnít see anything about you changing your CPU. I had an issue on my first build years ago that did a very similar thing to what you are describing. Have you by chance checked your cpu really well, I accidentally got a little bit of thermal paste on one of the pins and kept getting symptoms a lot of what you described. Took me a long time to figure it out. I am more then likely wrong but worth a shot eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

this exact thing occurred to an acquaintance of mine very recently.... (bit of TP in the cpu socket)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Barkel View Post
    I could of overlooked it but I didnít see anything about you changing your CPU. I had an issue on my first build years ago that did a very similar thing to what you are describing. Have you by chance checked your cpu really well, I accidentally got a little bit of thermal paste on one of the pins and kept getting symptoms a lot of what you described. Took me a long time to figure it out. I am more then likely wrong but worth a shot eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post
    this exact thing occurred to an acquaintance of mine very recently.... (bit of TP in the cpu socket)
    These are actually very valid suggestions as well...I guess as soon as the "Christmas delirium" is over (relatives running around home) I'll open up once again the CPU socket, clean its contacts and change its TP for good...it's definitely worth a shot...

BTW...Merry Christmas to all of you...I can't thank you enough for your continuous assistance and support in solving this...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pinopinotto View Post
    These are actually very valid suggestions as well...I guess as soon as the "Christmas delirium" is over (relatives running around home) I'll open up once again the CPU socket, clean its contacts and change its TP for good...it's definitely worth a shot...

BTW...Merry Christmas to all of you...I can't thank you enough for your continuous assistance and support in solving this...
    I suspect by TP you men 'thermal paste,' but I always thought of TP as an initialism for 'toilet paper.' I've seen thermal interface material referred to as TIM.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    I suspect by TP you men 'thermal paste,' but I always thought of TP as an initialism for 'toilet paper.' I've seen thermal interface material referred to as TIM.
    LOL...well, I assumed I was speaking "common tongue" :P ...yep, I meant thermal paste (I kind of picture the funny image of adamsleath's friend with toilet paper stuck in the CPU socket, BTW)...I've been struggling to find some time to disassemble my cooler and CPU...maybe tomorrow... (crossing fingers)
    My Rig:

CPU Intel Core i7-6700k
    Motherboard ASUS Prime Z270-A
    RAM 16GB DDR-4 Corsair
    GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
    PSU CX750M
    1 x SSD 120GB
    2 x HDD 7.2RPM
    1 x 80RPM fan
    1 x CoolerMaster Seidon 120 liquid CPU cooler
    LG BD-Writer
    FrontBay 2 x 2.0 USB ports + 3 x USB 3.0 ports + cardreader
    K260 combo wifi KB+mouse
    external USB wifi adapter
    ..and my trusty USB 2.0 TARDIS Hub

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pinopinotto View Post
    LOL...well, I assumed I was speaking "common tongue" :P ...yep, I meant thermal paste (I kind of picture the funny image of adamsleath's friend with toilet paper stuck in the CPU socket, BTW)...I've been struggling to find some time to disassemble my cooler and CPU...maybe tomorrow... (crossing fingers)
    Some people clean their IHS's with alcohol. Although the recommended wipe is coffee filters (lintless and inexpensive), there are some benighted souls who use TP for cleaning up their TIM.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold