Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corsair RMi-850w , default 12V rail OCP setting ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Transient spikes can get higher than that, but you need a faster meter to see those spikes.
    But will transient spikes last long enough to set off the OCP?
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

according to my very limited knowledge , I think so as these are electronic overcurrent protection circuits which may take down to 10ms to respond , the fuse (Thrmal enrgy) and circuit breakers (EMF) though take a much longer time about 0.1s
    CPU: i7 9700K / Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
    RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB DDR4 @3000MHz GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Advanced
    SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD: 3TB WD 30EZRX
    PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
    PC Case: CoolerMaster H500P Mesh White /Monitor : Samsung Professional monitor S27B970D
    DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 / Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    But will transient spikes last long enough to set off the OCP?
    They can, yes. This was the problem that Seasonic Focus units had, where GPUs with high transient loads would tripper OCP and cause the units to shut down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

How so ? the focus plus is single rail , its ocp is set at the maximum amperage the PSU can handle , no gpu would ever reach that value on a focus plus 650 850 or 1000 w
    PC Case: CoolerMaster H500P Mesh White /Monitor : Samsung Professional monitor S27B970D
    DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 / Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I have found this statement presumably by seasonic on reddit

''AMD's Vega 56/64 graphics card has a very high transient power consumption. The oscilloscope screenshot below shows the transient current when using the two Vega 56 CrossFire for FurMark test, up to 102A / 10ms, which means the power supply must withstand 1200W peak wattage. Even a single Vega 56 graphics card may have nearly 600W of transient power consumption.

file-Af5QnaoIYo.jpg
    In this case, from the security point of view, in order to protect other parts of the computer including the graphics card, the overcurrent protection threshold and trigger time of some FOCUS PLUS power supplies are set relatively sensitive. After the power supply taking protective measures, the computer may restart or shutdown.
    AMD officially recommends 650W/750W power supply for Vega 56/64. Basically, only users who use FOCUS PLUS 550 can possibly encounter such power overload problems. If the user's power supply is purchased before January 2018 (according to the serial number on the power sticker), please contact Seasonic Customer Service for after-sales service.
    A power supply sold after January 2018 has the updated sensitivity preset of overcurrent protection, so users can use it with confidence.
    If you are using a high-power water-cooled Vega graphics card or other high-end graphics cards, please purchase power supplies with higher power ratings to ensure that the computer works properly.
    In rare cases, using FOCUS PLUS and ASUS GTX970 STRIX graphics cards may result in continual black screens, which is currently only present when paired with the ASUS GTX970 STRIX model. Using the PCIe power cable without capacitors can solve the problem. If the user encounters such problems, he can contact customer service to obtain a PCIe power cables.
    We have been cooperating with major graphics card manufacturers to solve the problems caused by the increasing power consumption of graphics cards.''

I never knew that transient loads can get that high

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

100 Amps is a lot of current. It is surprising that a card would draw so much, especially because the wires and connectors are not rated -- even in extremis -- to carry so much current.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold