Thread: Crappy FSP unit, what do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Crappy FSP unit, what do?

Hi all, recently picked up a free case+PSU, was mostly interested in the case to use as a fileserver, thought the PSU might be a nice bonus... The fan is a bit too noisy for me to want to use it 24/7 though, so that will be something to fix first, if it's worth it of course...

The power supply is a FSP ATX-400PNF, quick look under the hood and some cleaning revealed all the caps (mostly seem to be teapos...) to be in ok shape. It passes the "power 12v to a fan and disk drive" test as well...

Is there anything else I should do as far as testing/verification goes before I hook it up to anything else? Don't really have anything aside from a multimeter to test with...

Or should I just call it junk and tear it up for components? I couldn't really find much on the web about the quality of these units...

Also as far as the fan goes, it seems to only have 2 wires, so no tachometer, would it be safe to just pull that fan out and externally power a different one? Or would it be likely that the controller on the PSU throws a fit? I'll probably end up only using it as a stopgap until I buy a better unit to replace it, so I don't really mind some jank as long as it doesn't fry my precious FM2+ hardware

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qhfreddy View Post
    Or should I just call it junk and tear it up for components?

Having a spare power supply around is always useful, if only for diagnostics.